Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Local History Self Publishing

Options
  • 24-11-2011 8:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hello everyone.

I have a general query about self publishing a local history book that I feel is not quite well covered by the numerous tutorials I have read online.

I have endeavored for the last 2 years to wrestle from the jaws of oblivion a large portion of the history of Carlow that was destined to die away in the space of a decade or so. In past generations stories were passed down orally through the generations, but in modern Ireland we seem to be losing reverence for the past, the people who retain these bastions of knowledge have no one to pass their stories onto and so they were destined to be lost in the vast recesses of time. In this respect when I look at my book in context to Carlow it is one of a kind.

Through my travels I interviewed numerous incredibly interesting individuals, some in fact being so old that they lived through the Irish War of Independence, Irish Civil war, World War 2 and the greatest recessions to have ever wracked Ireland. I have amassed a massive collection of Information, documents, trinkets and first hand stories of incredible events, for example, I have the first hand story from a man who was one of the first people on the scene when the German Luftwaffe accidentally bombed Carlow during World War 2, a story from a woman who`s father housed a lost IRA volunteer during the Irish War of Independence and the story of a woman who witnessed a shootout between an IRA volunteer and some Auxiliaries, and many many more. Along with this having been involved in heritage efforts in Carlow I have amassed a massive collection of information, myths and legends about the area, the book being about 60% complete at this given time.

In my book I try to note an individuals story that links to a famous person, I then tell their story and later add a detailed account of the individual referenced to in the story as long as the person originated from or had some connection to County Carlow (for example Patrick O`Donoghue).

My problem is that none of the self publishing sites really appeal to me as the history my books contains is very specific and I really cannot see anyone anywhere else in Ireland wanting to read the book unless they were of course from Carlow. So I am afraid that if I pay out thousands (which I still need to raise) for the publication of my book I will have trouble selling hundreds of copies. I would be happier just publishing a few dozen copies at at time, do any of the self publish sites cater for this as I cannot find any.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think lulu.com should let you publish just a handful of books. I reckon e-publishing a book like this would be a waste of time as anyone interested would most likely want a hard copy. It sounds quite fascinating and I'd more than likely buy it myself and my family. It's the sort of think I regret nobody ever did with my own grandmother who had 105 years' worth of amazing stories. She lived about a mile from the Carlow border though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ceatharlach

I think lulu.com should let you publish just a handful of books. I reckon e-publishing a book like this would be a waste of time as anyone interested would most likely want a hard copy. It sounds quite fascinating and I'd more than likely buy it myself and my family. It's the sort of think I regret nobody ever did with my own grandmother who had 105 years' worth of amazing stories. She lived about a mile from the Carlow border though :)

Thank you Pickarooney for your reply, but Isn`t Lulu.com an American based publisher or am I wrong. I was on their website last week and again they were offering packages and large amounts of books with each package. But I will go back and have a look through their website again.

"It's the sort of think I regret nobody ever did with my own grandmother"

You wouldn`t believe how many people say things similar to that when I tell them about my book.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

My mother suggested this site: http://www.blurb.com/
    A colleague of hers used it for a book earlier in the year.

I don't know how suitable it is to your needs, but it might be an option anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Ceatharlach

I don't know how suitable it is to your needs, but it might be an option anyway.

Thank you Insect Overlord, I visited the Blurb website and downloaded their template, it does look quite promising. One thing is for sure there`s no shortage of publishing bodies on the net, it`s quite daunting really. I came across a rake of new ones today, The History Press Ireland looks like quite an interesting one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Saltwater

Hi Ceatharlach,

If you'd like to contact Saltwater Publishing (info@saltwater.ie) we'd be happy to give you some advise regarding flexible publishing models and we have extensive experience in the area of local history.

All the best with your project!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

does blurb come with an ISBN?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 new ross

I'm interested in Local History and self-publishing I have currently a book in the pipeline-' New Ross Remembers' Vol. 2. When I published the first book I didnt have Vol. 1 in the title but after the great reception it got I carried on with Vol.2.

I would say to previous contributor -Ceathatlach- have no fears. Being a novice I didn't anticipate the favourable reaction and printed 1,000 copies. Later I had to have 500 extra printed. All sold.

My book consisted of lots of black and white photos of characters, shops, old streets, bands etc. and items of historical interest in the town. With hundreds of photos and lots of reading it proved a success.

I found people loved the old characters in the book, the old trades and crafts and I covered some distinguished sons and daughters of Ross also.

Best of luck

sean crowley

Advertisement