Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requesting Part Time Hours

Options
  • 24-11-2011 5:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what would happen if you asked your employer to go onto part time hours. Let's say the contract says you can get a minimum 4 hours a week, but you receive between 25-40 (that is one week you might get 25, and another you might get 40 - all spread over 5 days), could you request to be put on a part time basis i.e. your hours over 2-3 days. I ask this in a scenario: a person usually receives between 25-40 hours per week and they are always spread over 5 days, however their circumstances have changed and they would prefer to get maybe 12-25 over 2-3 days.

Could this be requested seeing as the contract states a minimum of 4 hours a week? Or does the manager have the right to terminate your contract as he might need that person for certain times (such as the spreading of hours over 5 days) as they have stated their availability before that they could do such hours, even though now they might not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The person can request part-time hours and that request can be denied. The company cannot terminate the person's contract for making the request.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

seamus wrote: »
    The person can request part-time hours and that request can be denied. The company cannot terminate the person's contract for making the request.

Thanks. But what would happen if the person said well I am sorry I have to go to part time hours and they still rostered you over 5 days a week and you could only do 2-3 and just didn't go in the other 2 days, I am assuming the can dismiss you then, yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

chops018 wrote: »
    Thanks. But what would happen if the person said well I am sorry I have to go to part time hours and they still rostered you over 5 days a week and you could only do 2-3 and just didn't go in the other 2 days, I am assuming the can dismiss you then, yes?

I wouldn't recommend your friend not going into work if she is told they cannot accommodate her with part time hours shell prob get a warning and if she keeps not coming in I'd say she's likely to loose her job:( I suggest she looks for other work if her boss won't budge! But she won't until she asks, it might turn out ok:)

Advertisement