Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work problem-advice please

Options
  • 24-11-2011 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I am wondering if you could help me 'air out' a number of concerns I have regarding my employer. As a full time Masters student, I am a part time retail worker in a concession, in a large department store in Dublin. I have been employed with this concession for over two years. During this time, particularly of late I have felt that the staff, or more importantly the part time staff have been treated less favourably than our full time counterparts.

This is beside the point. My current gripe, however, lies with my contract of employment. Nowhere in this document does it say the minimum or maximum hours I am required to work. Due to my current academic commitments I have had to significantly reduce my hours. I currently only work a shift on a Sunday (about six hours) which is all that I can manage with the work load.

I am concerned, however, that this Christmas period will be like any other. In other words, us part time staff will be expected to carry the load of the two full time staff members, who usually take a substantial number of days off during and just after Christmas ( we open on Stephens Day). I do not have the time available to me to work any more days than my one shift on a Sunday as last Christmas I was expected to work Christmas Eve right up until New Years Eve with only Christmas Day as a day off.

I apologise for venting but my question is this, do I legally have to work any more hours than the six hour shift myself and my manager agreed upon a number of months ago, even though there is no stipulation of my contracted hours? I want to only maintain this shift over the holiday period.

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

Try posting in the work problems section here

Mods will probably move this to there anyway.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Same thread has been posted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement