Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque/Bank Draft/Postal Order

Options
  • 23-11-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering which of the above methods would be the cheapest if using it once a month?

We (my husband and I) have to make a small payment every month for the next year or 2 and were wondering which would be the cheapest method?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If you have free banking, then cheque is cheapest. If you have a UFirst a/c with Ulster, then bank draft is also free. There is a fee for postal order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Iirc a u first account does not get you free bank drafts.

Also a chq costs €0.50 each government stamp duty.

Why not just set up a standing order?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Iirc a u first account does not get you free bank drafts.

Also a chq costs €0.50 each government stamp duty.

Why not just set up a standing order?

That is what I want to do, but the person in question does not want that. Very annoying and archaic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Oh, wonder why....

Cheapest option is chq. However if you insist on crossing the chq "account payee only" it will have to be lodged thus they'd be better off with a standing order.

Chqs can be held for up to six months before lodging or cashing them and this can cause you hassle.

Advertisement