Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amp with built in effects, or separate pedal?

Options
  • 23-11-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

I hope this is in the right place, feel free to move it if it's not!

Right so I'm buying a new guitar amp and I need advice from all you wise musicians :D

I was going to go for the Vox vt40+ for all the built in effects (I'm a new to effects). If I buy it and the optional pedal (which is just 5 buttons on a piece of plastic for turning things off and on), it'll set me back €256.

Would I be better to get a decent amp without built in effects and get a separate multi-effects pedal? Like Zoom or Behringer or something? I don't want to splash out on individual pedals etc.

If anyone could recommend a plain amp and an effects pedal that would do as much/more than the vt40+, for a similar price, I'd be eternally grateful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Moved to Instruments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I'll leave it to others to suggest products (though you can't really go wrong with a second-hand Peavey Bandit or Studio Pro).

But I will say that having a separate effects unit can be much more flexible. Say you were going to jam with mates in a rehearsal studio: if you have a multi-effects unit, all your sounds are there -- so you don't need to either go without them or lug your amp around...

As to which unit, that isn't my area of expertise. But try looking in the guitar effects section of Adverts and then researching the units on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've a 120 watt Behringer guitar amp with built-in effects and I also have a PodXT Live. For ease of use and quality of sound the Pod wins hands down. I wouldn't bother getting an amp with built-in effects since you're going to be paying for them regardless of whether you use them and, in my experience they just don't sound very good and can be difficult to modify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Hi sh1tin-a-brick :D

I have used amps build in effects, owned a zoom multi effects, a boss multi effects and now im using individual pedals. Long story short I much prefer the tone of my individual ones.

If you are starting out with effects, you cant go wrong with the vox. I used to own an older model. the effects were decent, but you could only use one effect at a time, and i didnt have a decicated reverb knob, so it was always left on reverb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Sounds ok to me right here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement