Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

U.S license, Irish Learner Permit advice.

Options
  • 23-11-2011 8:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have a U.S. license and an Irish Learner's Permit. I have tried to pass the driving test twice and have been failed on both occasions (for no good reason). Can anyone suggest where I may take the test and have a better chance of passing? I have the distinct impression I am being failed because I am not Irish. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You're being failed because you're not driving to the standards of the test. You have to prove you're somewhat competent. And funnily enough, it's not even that hard of a test.

Maybe if you start looking at where you're making the mistakes rather than being of the opinion that you "deserve" a license because you already have a US one, you'll get somewhere.

If you look at your marking sheets and post up where you got the faults, we might be able to help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I second this. I passed my test first time around. Got around 7 or 8 lessons from a good instructor who pointed out the areas that they would be marking on.

Few things to watch out for are knowing when to check your mirrors, and how to do it correctly. Being able to drive comfortably and relaxed. Engaging in a hill-start properly. How to use your mirror to reverse around the bend properly - If you use the wing mirror properly, its easy as pie.

Also - Make sure to always watch out for stop signs. You MUST stop before the line. You can't kind of slowly edge your car out over the line without stopping.

Other than that - the test is pretty handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Teddy S. wrote: »
    I have a U.S. license and an Irish Learner's Permit. I have tried to pass the driving test twice and have been failed on both occasions (for no good reason). Can anyone suggest where I may take the test and have a better chance of passing? I have the distinct impression I am being failed because I am not Irish. Any suggestions?
    it's just a money spinner here people often get failed on stupid trivil matters

• Advertisement

it's just a money spinner here people often get failed on stupid trivil matters

I always love to see your posts filled with lots of facts to back up claims... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Trivial things, I'm not sure about that. I dropped my mother down to work last night. One car had no lights on in the pitch black, another car was driving up the wrong up through a one way street. The driving test makes sure that people are competent. Both of these people were L plate drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Teddy S.

I should clarify: I have been living in Ireland for the past 12 years. I have been driving for over thirty. I was given a learner permit when I first arrived (in exchange for my U.S. license) and put my name down for the driving test. Then, nothing happened for a very long time (years). I called the authority then responsible for giving dates for the test and they said they knew nothing about my request. So I made another one. This too was "lost" as the authorities changed. Meanwhile, I now have an eight year no-claims bonus on my car insurance in Ireland.

I tried to remedy the situation again last winter.I took several driving lessons with an instructor and I signed up for the test again. I took the test and was told I was only a few marks short of passing--I needed to check my mirrors more and was slow to pull out into an intersection. I also was told I did not look over my shoulder before pulling out. The tester suggested I take some lessons locally (with the driving school situated under their centre).

I then took eight lessons in the driving school in the same premises as the RSA testing centre. We cleaned up my little "bad" habits such as not looking in all three mirrors twice before undertaking any procedure, and not stopping in front of a lane marked with a no stopping box (the box was not in my road--it was perpendicular to it), and learning not to signal when I was pulling out around a stationary vehicle (which, I was told could confuse the driver behind who might think I was going to turn)--all of which seemed counter intuitive to me. But if this is what the tester wanted, this is what I would do for the tester.

I was told by the driving instructor that I was "good to go". I took the test again with the same tester. He failed me again. He said I did not slow down when there was a potential hazard (a person walking on the sidewalk, not getting off of it) and I had not looked over my shoulder when I had pulled out into traffic (which I did not agree, since I was not going to fail on this point a second time). I also bumped the curb when reversing around it with mirrors in my rented school car. So, once again, I was two points short of passing.

I went downstairs to the driving school and told them my tale of woe. They couldn't understand the fail mark but insisted if I took a few more lessons I would pass. Meanwhile, when I complained to the tester that the driving school never told me to slow down for pedestrians on the sidewalk, he said "well, you're smart. Figure it out."

So, my question is, where can I do my test and get a fair testing? Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

OP, it sounds like you were quite fairly assessed.
    I needed to check my mirrors more and was slow to pull out into an intersection... I also was told I did not look over my shoulder before pulling out.

This is Observation and Progress. Two of the most common fail points. Practice is important, and habits are hard to shake. Not looking at your blind spot is actually dangerous.
    He said I did not slow down when there was a potential hazard (a person walking on the sidewalk, not getting off of it) and I had not looked over my shoulder when I had pulled out into traffic (which I did not agree, since I was not going to fail on this point a second time).

Hard to comment here without being there, but if you were marked for it, it was obviously a hazard. The path may have been narrow, may have been children or pets. You must adjust your driving to prepare for hazards. This is case in point of how stringent the Irish test is. Look at our road accident stats for the reasons why.
    I also bumped the curb when reversing around it with mirrors in my rented school car. So, once again, I was two points short of passing.

As my instructor would tell me; If you hit the kerb, you've potentially hit a child. The reverse around the corner is something you'll never do in "real" driving. It is a test of your observation and control of the vehicle.

To me it sounds like you need to brush up your driving to shed bad habits and become a more safe driver, specifically Observation. I don't mean to sound condescending in any way, I'm stating that in the context of the test. The test is there for everybody to pass or fail based on their driving ability and makes the roads safer for all of us.

Check out the Tester Marking Sheet in the back of the Rules of the Road book and available on www.rotr.ie and note how it words each section - Note that the words "safely" and "in good time" are mentioned everywhere.

Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

I should clarify: I have been living in Ireland for the past 12 years. I have been driving for over thirty. I was given a learner permit when I first arrived (in exchange for my U.S. license) and put my name down for the driving test. Then, nothing happened for a very long time (years). I called the authority then responsible for giving dates for the test and they said they knew nothing about my request. So I made another one. This too was "lost" as the authorities changed. Meanwhile, I now have an eight year no-claims bonus on my car insurance in Ireland.

I tried to remedy the situation again last winter.I took several driving lessons with an instructor and I signed up for the test again. I took the test and was told I was only a few marks short of passing--I needed to check my mirrors more and was slow to pull out into an intersection. I also was told I did not look over my shoulder before pulling out. The tester suggested I take some lessons locally (with the driving school situated under their centre).

I then took eight lessons in the driving school in the same premises as the RSA testing centre. We cleaned up my little "bad" habits such as not looking in all three mirrors twice before undertaking any procedure, and not stopping in front of a lane marked with a no stopping box (the box was not in my road--it was perpendicular to it), and learning not to signal when I was pulling out around a stationary vehicle (which, I was told could confuse the driver behind who might think I was going to turn)--all of which seemed counter intuitive to me. But if this is what the tester wanted, this is what I would do for the tester.

I was told by the driving instructor that I was "good to go". I took the test again with the same tester. He failed me again. He said I did not slow down when there was a potential hazard (a person walking on the sidewalk, not getting off of it) and I had not looked over my shoulder when I had pulled out into traffic (which I did not agree, since I was not going to fail on this point a second time). I also bumped the curb when reversing around it with mirrors in my rented school car. So, once again, I was two points short of passing.

I went downstairs to the driving school and told them my tale of woe. They couldn't understand the fail mark but insisted if I took a few more lessons I would pass. Meanwhile, when I complained to the tester that the driving school never told me to slow down for pedestrians on the sidewalk, he said "well, you're smart. Figure it out."

So, my question is, where can I do my test and get a fair testing? Any suggestions?

I feel for you man in that It took me three attempts to get my test. Came up with all sorts of reasons in my head as to why I was failed.

Turned out there was only 1, me!

Take look at these:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdVoy3SUJ5Y

Helped me a lot. Also, I would look at maybe trying a different instructor. They may see issues that your current instructor didn't. I don't think the test here is easy myself, but it is easier than other countries in europe:)

All the best and let us know how you get on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sorry for slightly off-topic, but........given that a learner's permit is only for 2 years, how have you been driving here for 8 ? :confused: If if you got two, that's still only 4...........:confused::confused:

I have a different problem - I have family and spend time in GA....how would I get a US licence over there, without an SSN -as they told me I couldn't get a licence without one..... ??

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Teddy S.

Let me clarify again to Proxy: you seem genuine in trying to help. The problem is that while the tester "said" I did or did not do things, I am fairly sure I did the correct thing. The two driving instructors I worked with before taking the test were also surprised I did not pass. The tester was the same person on both occasions--and he gave the same reasons for failing me on both occasions--which make me think they were his "stock" reasons. I met a journalist who was going to do a piece on this particular testing centre because he had talked to so many people (especially non-Europeans) who had been failed at this centre multiple times. He asked me to "go public" if I too did not pass. I am thinking about it...

As for my observation skills, I have an international C license and have driven for years in Italy as well as in Ireland and the U.S. I have never had a claim on my insurance or any (knock wood) accidents. I do think the tester took one look at my address and decided I could afford to take the test more than once.

Galwaytt hit the nail on the head when he said he could not get a license in the U.S. This is a tit for tat arrangement. Because the U.S. will not give licenses to someone without a SSN, Ireland will not exchange U.S. licenses for Irish ones. EU drivers from Spain, Italy, France, etc, all countries who drive on the "wrong side of the road" may drive in Ireland without exchanging their license (because they are EU). Not so for U.S. license holders. U.S. licence holders may rent a car and drive for their first six months in Ireland without a special license. After that point, they must get an International license which is good for one year. After that, they must become "Learner Drivers " and cannot drive without a fully licensed driver in the car. They must then (after at least one and a half years of already driving in Ireland ) pass an Irish driver's test in order to drive in Ireland. Is this sane or is this just politics?

My question is: who knows a fair testing centre? I don't have any problem taking tests as long as I am assessed fairly--which I do not think I have been.

To Galwaytt: I'm not sure what you have to do (as an EU citizen) to get a U.S. license. Why do you need one?

Proxy wrote: »
    The reverse around the corner is something you'll never do in "real" driving. It is a test of your observation and control of the vehicle.

Actually that's probably the furthest thing from truth there is.

I use it most of the time to turn the car in a driveway, it's used to reverse into/out of parking spaces... it IS used in every day driving, if you know it or not :)

Let me clarify again to Proxy: you seem genuine in trying to help. The problem is that while the tester "said" I did or did not do things, I am fairly sure I did the correct thing. The two driving instructors I worked with before taking the test were also surprised I did not pass. The tester was the same person on both occasions--and he gave the same reasons for failing me on both occasions--which make me think they were his "stock" reasons. I met a journalist who was going to do a piece on this particular testing centre because he had talked to so many people (especially non-Europeans) who had been failed at this centre multiple times. He asked me to "go public" if I too did not pass. I am thinking about it...

As for my observation skills, I have an international C license and have driven for years in Italy as well as in Ireland and the U.S. I have never had a claim on my insurance or any (knock wood) accidents. I do think the tester took one look at my address and decided I could afford to take the test more than once.

Galwaytt hit the nail on the head when he said he could not get a license in the U.S. This is a tit for tat arrangement. Because the U.S. will not give licenses to someone without a SSN, Ireland will not exchange U.S. licenses for Irish ones. EU drivers from Spain, Italy, France, etc, all countries who drive on the "wrong side of the road" may drive in Ireland without exchanging their license (because they are EU). Not so for U.S. license holders. U.S. licence holders may rent a car and drive for their first six months in Ireland without a special license. After that point, they must get an International license which is good for one year. After that, they must become "Learner Drivers " and cannot drive without a fully licensed driver in the car. They must then (after at least one and a half years of already driving in Ireland ) pass an Irish driver's test in order to drive in Ireland. Is this sane or is this just politics?

My question is: who knows a fair testing centre? I don't have any problem taking tests as long as I am assessed fairly--which I do not think I have been.

To Galwaytt: I'm not sure what you have to do (as an EU citizen) to get a U.S. license. Why do you need one?

It probably is politics OP. A friend of mine who is Irish but lived in Dallas Texas for 5 years told me that all that was expected of him to pass his test was to drive around the block for a while without making any silly mistakes. At this stage, he had only ever had a provisional Irish license.

He's back in Ireland now, did the the test failed it, got 3 lessons and passed it with only one G2 on the sheet.

The point I'm making is that the standard is so different in the US verses the EU that they could not possibly consider swapping like for like in terms of driving licenses.

There's been a certain amount of collaboration between EU countries to ensure standards are reasonably similar. This is not the case with Europe and the US.

You will get there if you stick with it.

Best of luck

matt70iu wrote: »
    There's been a certain amount of collaboration between EU countries to ensure standards are reasonably similar. This is not the case with Europe and the US.

Really? Then why are the germans so far ahead in terms of testing? Or is it that a basic/minimum standard is reached by all?

To get everywhere else to similar standards would take a lot of money!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've set the test for all licences you can get in Ireland and while I was perfectly able to drive with the instructors I just kept making stupid mistakes when the tester was in the vehicle with me. I failed tests multiple times but I learned from my mistakes and improved, I didn't blame the testers or my instructors.

The worst part is the tester has actually told you what you are doing wrong, which they aren't supposed to do, and you still did it.
    As for my observation skills, I have an international C license and have driven for years in Italy as well as in Ireland and the U.S.

There is no such thing as an international licence. All the IDP is what's on you national licence translated into countless languages.
    I have never had a claim on my insurance or any (knock wood) accidents. I do think the tester took one look at my address and decided I could afford to take the test more than once.

My father has been driving for 40+ years with no accidents or claims. Yet he is one of the most dangerous drivers I've been in a car with. He doesn't have a notion how to do a roundabout.

Just because you've no claims doesn't mean you a good driver it just means you're lucky. Especially since you've been driving without a valid licence for several years.

Licence exchanges are bilateral agreements. And with the US it's between each State, not Ireland and the USA. Some US states allow easy swaps of Irish for US licences some don't.

If you so confident why not book the next closest centre to you, or if you want to play the statistics the RSA publishes the pass rate for each centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,942 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

galwaytt wrote: »
    Sorry for slightly off-topic, but........given that a learner's permit is only for 2 years, how have you been driving here for 8 ? :confused: If if you got two, that's still only 4...........:confused::confused:
    +1
    I have a different problem - I have family and spend time in GA....how would I get a US licence over there, without an SSN -as they told me I couldn't get a licence without one..... ??

Why do you need a US licence? You can only get a US licence if you are resident in the US, thanks 9/11. Same as most countries you need to be a resident before you can get their full licence, just look at the process to exchange to a UK licence and they don't offer straight swaps with the USA either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

I have a passed both the car tests in both counties and have a US CDL (commercial drivers licence) with all the endorsements, double triples etc and also passed the Artic licence here as they wouldn't take the American licence.

The American car test was a joke..honestly I think a 10yo could pass it (That was in Arizona maybe other states are different?)..the Irish car test is pretty good.

I actually thought the US truck test was far better teaching you about the vehicle, 120 point check of the unit and trailer etc and doing 3 reversing tests that you would do in the real world.
    In comparison the Irish test consisted of driving around a narrow streets in a town tying to see if you touch a kerb so they can fail you

• Advertisement

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Um... now that's news to me:) Maybe it is even more political for the reasons OP has already stated.

Advertisement