Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fire Safety Info

Options
  • 23-11-2011 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

Hey, long story short, I'm currently doing a project at college on fire safety in passenger trains, found plenty of info but very little related to Ireland

I emailed Irish Rail yesterday but haven't had a response yet so thought I'd try my luck here in the mean time.

Would anyone here have an idea where to get information on anything related to regulations, safety features, evacuation procedures or anything else of relevance. Preferably for the 22000 Class cars but any info would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Harps wrote: »
    Hey, long story short, I'm currently doing a project at college on fire safety in passenger trains, found plenty of info but very little related to Ireland

I emailed Irish Rail yesterday but haven't had a response yet so thought I'd try my luck here in the mean time.

Would anyone here have an idea where to get information on anything related to regulations, safety features, evacuation procedures or anything else of relevance. Preferably for the 22000 Class cars but any info would be appreciated

There are a couple of extinguishers in each carriage under the seats, apart from that if the train catches fire follow the instructions of the staff IF there is staff on board!

Your question has me wondering about the many trains which operate without a conductor these days and what is the procedure is the driver has to leave the train for any reason(to summon help or check for casualties after an accident), are drivers allowed to leave a train carrying passengers unattended on the main line? Is there not some regulation stating that there must be a conductor or guard on every passenger train?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

This contains some information on what you should do in an emergency,

RSC-G-013-A Third Party Guidance on Railway Risk V4 Passengers

Also have a look here, there should be some mention of fire regulations in the guidelines for design of rolling stock.

guidelines for design of rolling stock.
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    There are a couple of extinguishers in each carriage under the seats, apart from that if the train catches fire follow the instructions of the staff IF there is staff on board!

Your question has me wondering about the many trains which operate without a conductor these days and what is the procedure is the driver has to leave the train for any reason(to summon help or check for casualties after an accident), are drivers allowed to leave a train carrying passengers unattended on the main line? Is there not some regulation stating that there must be a conductor or guard on every passenger train?

I don’t believe there is a requirement for a second person on lines where secure cab radio is fitted. As far as I know the only lines without it are Limerick to Ballybrophy and Limerick Junction to Waterford. However some stock does require a second person to operate it, ie MK 4 and De-Dietrich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

This contains some information on what you should do in an emergency,

RSC-G-013-A Third Party Guidance on Railway Risk V4 Passengers

Also have a look here, there should be some mention of fire regulations in the guidelines for design of rolling stock.

guidelines for design of rolling stock.

I don’t believe there is a requirement for a second person on lines where secure cab radio is fitted. As far as I know the only lines without it are Limerick to Ballybrophy and Limerick Junction to Waterford. However some stock does require a second person to operate it, ie MK 4 and De-Dietrich.
    So is it ok for a driver to leave a cab and train completly unattended while he walks back to check for damage or casualties? If the radios are as reliable as the trains I would bring a mobile phone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭nanu nanu

Call the RSC, the 22000's have had fires with pasangers on board. There might be something in the annual report.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Rule 1: Don't set the train on fire
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

foggy_lad wrote: »
    So is it ok for a driver to leave a cab and train completly unattended while he walks back to check for damage or casualties? If the radios are as reliable as the trains I would bring a mobile phone!

Honestly I don’t know, I am not familiar with IE procedures for driver only trains in an emergency.

For fire at a guess I would say it is some thing like,

Stop train at next safe location
    Contact CTC
    Go inspect situation / evacuate affected vehicles
    tackle fire if safe to do so
    Contact CTC with request for additional resources/ES if required.
    Evacuate train if required.

But like I said that is just a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Jehuty42

Lots of info in IRRS journal 152 on the fire safety of the 29000s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Some great info there, thanks. Still no reply from IE but I should get by with what I've got here for now

Not sure what the story is with a train without a conductor, most of what I've been looking at so far is more to do with the technical standards, BS 6853 etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Harps wrote: »
    Some great info there, thanks. Still no reply from IE but I should get by with what I've got here for now

Not sure what the story is with a train without a conductor, most of what I've been looking at so far is more to do with the technical standards, BS 6853 etc

As someone else pointed out, it might be useful to contact the Railway Safety Committee (RSC) - www.rsc.ie At the end of the day the IÉ Safety Management System (SMS) has to satisfy them, so they might be able to give some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

May be a little late but 22000 have the following fire saftey systems onboard:

Fire safety to BS 6853 Cat 1B, automatic fire extinguishing system for engines & fuel tanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement