Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Breeds that can't Swim?

Options
  • 23-11-2011 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Hi what dog breed's do you know of that cant swim?:)
    My staffie is able to swim brilliant, in fact thats how i keep him fit & in shape :D
    Was told today though, there not able to/ and arnt very good swimmers due to their broad necks/shoulders and little legs :confused::confused:

any truth in that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

think the first part of your post answeres the second parts question!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Just want to find out is there any other bull type breeds that cant swim :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

A girl I know puts a life jacket on her boxer cos she used to just tip head first into the water :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'd say British Bulldogs would have trouble staying afloat. One of my Cairn Xs loves to swim.

kylith wrote: »
    I'd say British Bulldogs would have trouble staying afloat. One of my Cairn Xs loves to swim.

Ya my guy has the same stature/size of a BB :) ill be keeping them well out of the water anyway with this weather :) roll on next summer lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

id say its would be like us humans. some can. some cant

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

A girl I know puts a life jacket on her boxer cos she used to just tip head first into the water :D

Glad mines not the only boxer:).Mine fell into the liffey the other day.Thought he was stepping into a puddle for a drink but fell in head first.Water was frezzzzzzzzzzzzzzing.:)The look on his face when he came up teehe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Well I have a Tibetan terrier that seriously struggled to stay afloat, to the point the lifeguard on duty at the river here waded in to help him out after he fell in.
    He was just flailing around and barely keeping his head above water. I knew as a breed they aren't fond of swimming, and he always stayed clear of the water, but assumed all dogs could swim. Apparently not!

mymo wrote: »
    Well I have a Tibetan terrier that seriously struggled to stay afloat, to the point the lifeguard on duty at the river here waded in to help him out after he fell in.
    He was just flailing around and barely keeping his head above water. I knew as a breed they aren't fond of swimming, and he always stayed clear of the water, but assumed all dogs could swim. Apparently not!

Arnt them dogs known for there ammount of hair :) probably all of it dragging him down lol :)
    Glad he was ok though

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

We have a collie who was always terrified of going into the water, we always assumed it was because he couldn't swim or something. He would only go in enough to get his tummy wet but never out of his depth. One day we were at the beach and he was running across some rocks and he fell into the water. He could swim perfectly! But when he got out he was freaking out, trying to get the water out of his eyes. So he's fine with swimming but can't handle water in his eyes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah so cute! My older boy is a lab x staffie and the lab has definately won out. He adores swimming. Even on the coldest of days he'll dive in. Although he got into trouble once in a current and my husband had to strip to his boxers on a freezing day to wade in after him. This was in the middle of our town with the main road running over the bridge he was under. It took him days to tell me as I had warned him going out not to let the dog in after all the rain. haha :D

My foster boy, who is a tiny little staffie, is able to swim but lacks the confidence. He'll go so far, begin to float and then turn around with a look of "uh-oh" on his little face. :) We had them at a beach a few weeks back with a long area of shallow still water, so I went in and as it got deeper the little pet stayed with me, until he was swimming along. But he kept looking at me to make sure he was ok. He's also fallen in a few times when playing with Harley, and has been fine to swim to shore and climb out. But it's not his first choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

my male westie can swim and loves it, but my female westie cant and is quite afraid of water - i'm thinking dogs are maybe like us in that respect - its more an individual thing rather than a breed thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Our neighbour's boxer does something similar although her valiantly does his best to keep afloat. It must be a build thing? He's fine with a jacket on tho' :)

Only 1 of my westies can tolerate water, he won't swim as such but have a paddle. The rest are just afraid. At the beach we go to there is always a golden retriever who swims the whole width of the beach over and over. He loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Greyhounds are seriously awkward in the water - they don't like it at all unless they are overheating

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭stevekavo

My boxer wont go near the water.He just slams on the brakes or lies down. He also hates getting washed he stands there frozen. I dont know what has got him to be like this so i dont try to get him to swim (gave that up fairly quickly and just bath him when he needs it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

my staffie will go into a few inches but she wont swim and if the water starts getting deep she starts fretting and jumps out. she also barks at breaking waves!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Greyhounds are seriously awkward in the water - they don't like it at all unless they are overheating

My Greyhound will go in the sea - providing it's warm enough. She is quite a good swimmer. Whilst she only has thin paddles her sleek body doesn't offer much resistance.

My older Saluki will always go into the sea on a warm day but only up to the bottom of her chest. She hates being splashed by the other two.

My little Lab/Collie loves swimming - he even chased an Otter :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

My collie/Bernese cross will go out until the water literally touches his bum and he hits the brakes! If we take him to the lake, he'll go nuts to get into the water, loves when we throw sticks, but he'll only go so far and that's it. He did run in a deep drop by mistake one day, and swam back with no problems, didn't freak out or anything - but it didn't seem to cure him of the problem! I just take it he doesn't like to swim, or he'z lazy. He's a hairy brute so it might be hard to hold himself afloat!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Often the hairy ones find it easier as their coat traps air.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I'll assume he just doesn't like the "crimped" look of his fur when he gets soaked so :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

my staffie will go into a few inches but she wont swim and if the water starts getting deep she starts fretting and jumps out. she also barks at breaking waves!

Only one thing for it then - you'll have to go in with her :D

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

My dobie has an aversion to water full stop!! Rain, sea, baths! I tried during the summer to encourage him to go in the sea I was in about knee high but he just stayed on the sand having a hissy fit he was howling and crying! An elderly couple walking by had such a laugh at him he wouldn't settle til I got out and put my shoes back on! He fine running through a shallow stream but defo a no no to any water activity! I have to go out with an umbrella for wees when it's raining and I can forget about walks unless it's only barely drizzling! He sulks for a day after his bath! My other dogs loves running and diving into puddles and ponds only still water though not the sea!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Whispered wrote: »
    Only one thing for it then - you'll have to go in with her :D

is that gonna be part of the training? :eek:

;)

Advertisement