Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freddie Mercury RIP - November 24th 1991

Options
  • 23-11-2011 6:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So, I'm sure it will make some people here feel a little old, but Freddie Mercury is 20 years dead tomorrow. The man who lit up stages around the world for 20 years spent the last 20 very much in the public image.

From the EastEnders Children in Need Parody to X Factor tribute nights and Google it could be argued that Queen's music has never been more popular.

Of course, Mercury's solo material was vastly different to that of Queen, his experimentation and use of "80s sound" meant a lot of his material hasn't been as well recognized as that of his Queen writings.

We can compare the likes of Justin Hawkins and Lady GaGa to being the Freddie Mercury's of their day, but nobody has inspired more people (especially across a wider spectrum of music) then Freddie Mercury.

The Russians felt Mercury would corrupt their youth, but that was their job

Personally, I can tell you honestly, I would not be still here if it wasn't for the positive impact that Queen and Freddie Mercury's music had on me. I wouldn't be working in the music Industry and nor would I have had anything to do with much of anything.

I'd like to recommend a Queen song you may have never heard before, or heard in a different format, and let me say....this was a B Side that they felt wasn't good enough, that's how amazing this man was....

So take a bit of time, if you can, to listen to some Queen tomorrow and think of Freddie and what the world would be without his music.

As tribute proves, The Show Must Go On

Also, as an aside, if anyone saw them in Dublin in 79 or 84 or saw them in Slane in 86 then please share your memories I'd love to hear them. Or if you seen them anywhere really

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I was at their last ever gig in Knebworth 1986. There was a mental number of people there and I didn't get out of the car park until 5am.
    I also saw them 4 weeks before that in Wembley (and so did my Mum and Dad) and the first time I saw them was in Birmingham in 1984 on the 'Works' tour.
    My ipod will only be playing Queen tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

TheKurgan.jpg

This is the coolest guy who ever lived - his approval is all you ever need to seal Queen and Freddie Mercury's place in the pantheon.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I saw them in Slane and they blew my mind, love them. I was also big into doing up classic cars at the time and this song used to put a smug smile on my girlfriend's face. :D I know it's more Roger than Freddie but still cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Hitchhiker all the way from Mayo to see them in Slane. What a mad weekend and a fabulous gig. Freddie was well on form that day, even though he had to break up a fight.

Hard to believe its 20 years though. They don't make them like Freddie anymore. Pity Brian and Roger can't call it a day at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I was 8yrs old sitting in the back of my parents mazda 323 estate when we heard it on the news, we were at the lights near the square shopping centre/ old bawn tallaght. strange how I remember that

we used to listen to Queen on the way up to Donegal in the car for family holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Cashel Mc

The greatest singer of all time and always will be, still sends a shiver down the spine everytime I hear a clear, powerfull vocal such as Freddie's. Plenty of good rockers out there that have come and gone , but only one who could really sing. RIP King Mercury.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Probably the best front man in rock, he totally owned them at Live Aid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Great thread lads. RIP Freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Never a fan of Queen till I saw them on live aid, 15 minutes and they completely obliterated every other act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I made up a playlist on my way into work this morning. Just a bunch of songs I felt like hearing: Made In Heaven, Khashoggi's Ship (the Deep Cuts version with the drum intro), Was It All Worth It, Dragon Attack, Radio Ga Ga, I Go Crazy, Spread Your Wings (BBC Session), It's Late, Innuendo, Good Old-Fashioned Lover Boy (Top of the Pops Mono Version), The March of the Black Queen. Despite it being a sad anniversary :(, I was pretty damn happy in the car. :D

Re: the opening post. I always preferred the Scandal b-side version of My Life Has Been Saved to the subsequent Made In Heaven version. Not a bad choice to nominate as an "obscure" track for those who may not have heard it.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Christ, I can't believe it's 20 years!? Mentioned this to my Dad this morning, and his jaw dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

RIP Freddie one of the truly great vocalists of all times, maybe the greatest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

rednik wrote: »
    RIP Freddie one of the truly great vocalists of all times, maybe the greatest.

No maybe about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Saw them in the RDS in 1979, Elland Road Leeds in 1982, RDS again in 1984, and Slane 1986.

Am a fan since I first heard Seven Seas of Rhye on BBC Radio 1 in 1973.

I was driving down Gardener Street on my way into work when it was announced on the radio that Freddie had died. This was my JFK moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭Riddle101

RIP Freddie Mercury

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

RIP Freddie Mercury The Great Pretender. Legends never die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Queen forever in my heart, r.i.p freddie best frontman ever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He was a legend, will never forget Queen at Slane. Was only 12 and on holidays over here, traveled up in the back of a van with all my older cousins. First time drinking cider (I thought it was Apple Juice) and definitely the first time I was thrown under a fence and told to run like hell to get in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

R.I.P The Best ever.

Here's my little tribute. If you haven't heard these yet, play it and close your eyes. Its Freddie reincarnated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,639 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

R.I.P The Best ever.

Here's my little tribute. If you haven't heard these yet, play it and close your eyes. Its Freddie reincarnated.

Hey Mike!!?? Haven't seen you post around here in ages?? You should be nominated for the best username ever!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

The Russians felt Mercury would corrupt their youth, but that was their job

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Jemmaa wrote: »
    What do you mean?

Queen approached Russia and asked if they could play in the Soviet Union in 1983 or thereabouts....Russia refused on the basis that Queen's songs would corrupt their youth...but that was Mercury's job, to corrupt youth and start a rebellion within your Soul

I think that's the point of Queen's music

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Queen approached Russia and asked if they could play in the Soviet Union in 1983 or thereabouts....Russia refused on the basis that Queen's songs would corrupt their youth..

Yep,lyrical references to fried chicken would have turned young soviet kids onto evil western tastes like KFC and corrupted them!:p

***For clarity,One Vision came out after 1983 so would not in fact have had any corrupting influence on Soviet kids***

• Registered Users Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

lord lucan wrote: »
    Yep,lyrical references to fried chicken would have turned young soviet kids onto evil western tastes like KFC and corrupted them!:p

***For clarity,One Vision came out after 1983 so would not in fact have had any corrupting influence on Soviet kids***

The were probably talking about The Faerie Fellers Master Stroke.:p

Advertisement