Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat coughing alot?

Options
  • 23-11-2011 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Usually when waking from a sleep( in fact it only ever happens when she wakes up from sleeping) , looking around the net it seems asthma is quite common and from vids on utube it looks very similar to what she gets, only lasts 5/10 secs and she's right as rain ....anyone any experience with it? is it a serious problem that needs a vet??

someone suggested it's only furballs but she doesn't cough anything up and it happens very frequently in spells

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have the vet have a look anyway it could be anything from a virus to something caught in the throat or something else altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

It could be anything from hairballs ( cat is scrunched up, the heave is coming from the tummy muscles and neck extending down), upper respitory, asthma, bordatella which is unusual BUT as i know myself it can happen outside a rescue environment ( cat is scrunched up but extends neck upwards and out and heaves). There could be many reasons for it.

Vet visit is really the only way to determine. Is the cat eating, drinking ok? Is she sleeping more than normal? Toileting normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭October

My cat does this too. The vet said it was very mild asthma. She doesn't need any treatment or medication for it. You should get your vet to check your cat to be on the safe side. Thankfully my vet said there was nothing to worry about.

Advertisement