Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you become sensitive to coffee?

Options
  • 23-11-2011 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im off the cigarettes about a month now, maybe a little longer. Admittedly I didnt smoke as much as others here, just 2/3 a day, and more at the weekend.

But I dont know if its related to the cigs or not , but I seem to getting terrible nights sleep the past few weeks.
    Ive tried "fixing" it. Making sure im not eating too late, exercising (but not too late either).

Ive no problem getting to sleep but I keep waking up, and sometimes I wake up so much that there is barely a hope of getting back to sleep for hours.

And now the "confession":D...
    One thing I have NOT done is cut back on coffee, now I dont drink it too late at all, my last cup is about 3/4pm at the LATEST. I usually have 2 fairly massive cups , sometimes maybe a third small one after but not all the time.

Its one thing giving up cigs, but do I really have to say no to coffee now too?

Or is it possible that the sleep issue is completely unrelated and just a coincidence? After all its not like I smoked 10/20 a day.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

The sleep issue is related to smoking. It's your addiction fighting back. Sleep disorder is a common symptom of quitting nicotine - I went through it myself too. It's probably not related to your coffee especially if you don't have a cup after 4pm.

It doesn't matter how many you smoked - your body is still expecting nicotine. It's a common fallacy that a 10/day smoker has lesser quitting symptoms than a 40/day one. Addiction is addiction. And quitting that addiction has side-effects.

The sleep disturbance will pass. Just bear with it until it does. And enjoy your coffee :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Sorry for the delay on reply, thanks for the response, I think its showing signs of passing now already thankfully.
    i had read before about sleep problems after giving up, I guess I just underestimated how long it would drag on for.
    Anyway Im glad to be off them , despite not smoking that much in the first place, I think the trick is in truly accepting the difference between habit and physical addiction.
    Its very easy blame a bad habit on physical addiction.

Advertisement