Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paramedic Science Degrees....

Options
  • 23-11-2011 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if the UK Foundation Science Degrees for Paramedic Science would gain you registration as a Paramedic here. There two year courses and they seem broadly similar to our diploma course here.

I understand phecc judge each external application on whether they meet the Education and Training standards set out but I don't want to head over to find that there no use here.

See here..

http://www.londonambulance.nhs.uk/working_for_us/paramedic_science_degrees.aspx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 groundhurling

I'd be very wary of the 2 year diplomas but anything over 2 years in the uni seems legit if you want to become a paramedic. Bear in mind a bit of experience of working after college is a big plus too. If the course is shorter than the phecc requirements, even though you may have the skill set and all that goes with it you won't be going anywhere according to a pdf I read on their website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I'd be very wary of the 2 year diplomas but anything over 2 years in the uni seems legit if you want to become a paramedic. Bear in mind a bit of experience of working after college is a big plus too. If the course is shorter than the phecc requirements, even though you may have the skill set and all that goes with it you won't be going anywhere according to a pdf I read on their website.

Isn't the current Irish NATS/UCD diploma 2 years though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Thepredator

I had the same concerns when applying for uk. Ring phecc and explain situation, they got me to send a link to the course i wanted to do so they could review it and let me know if it would suffice for paramedic registration

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭supermedic

As a general rule, a 2 year university based UK paramedic course will get you a PHECC Paramedic licence, not an AP one. If you had a number of years post grad. service and some "meaty" additional training, you might move towards an AP award.
    A good few UK paramedics have been disappointed with only getting Paramedic (non ALS) licence by PHECC. You should compare the hours involved in training, clinical placements and internship etc, if they are broadly similar you will be OK.

If you are looking to get AP award by PHECC then you have to add all of the Paramedic training hours to the AP training hours and see how you measure up.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 groundhurling

supermedic wrote: »
    As a general rule, a 2 year university based UK paramedic course will get you a PHECC Paramedic licence, not an AP one. If you had a number of years post grad. service and some "meaty" additional training, you might move towards an AP award.
    A good few UK paramedics have been disappointed with only getting Paramedic (non ALS) licence by PHECC. You should compare the hours involved in training, clinical placements and internship etc, if they are broadly similar you will be OK.

If you are looking to get AP award by PHECC then you have to add all of the Paramedic training hours to the AP training hours and see how you measure up.

Solid advice here. Pretty much sums up what I've been told by universities in England and practitioners here who went through the system.

Personally I wasn't risking wasting two years of my life over there to not become a paramedic so I went for a 3 year degree for that reason only. The skillset was above that of AP but I don't believe I would have been given the AP qualification if I had gone through with it simply because of the amount of time the course takes and the fact that I would have had very little experience of working (other than the clinical placements which made up 50% of the course).

Remember when counting the hours, a 2 year course in the uk means 3 months off in the summer too so just bear that in mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement