Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the dogs pen

Options
  • 23-11-2011 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

hi, Ive got a large pet safe dog run i keep my dog in during the day when im gone. At the moment i have it off the grass beside some trees to shelter the dog from the rain as much as i can. The downside to this is that the pen is now situated on a loose chipping kind tarmac and when the dog goes to the loo (No2) its impossible to pick it all up, some always gets stuck in on the ground where i cant pick it up with a shovel or with my hand in a bag i know its small but i dont like the idea of the dog running over it and then coming inside the house any tips at getting rid of these small reamins? and putting down concrete is not an option as well as using the hose with these new water charges coming in.

My second question is I've bought 3 or 4 mats of this "vet blanket" as they called it in the shop and a dog mat and attached them to the bed in the dogs house and she always rips them to shreds. Ive tied them in with cable ties 2 in all corners and two in the middle trying to stop her but they never make it past 2 days. Any ideas for a bedding which will make it a bit longer? Many thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭jamesd

Put down a layer of sand then paving slabs - can easily be taken up and moved elsewhere if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is the dog allowed out of the pen much, the dog might pee in the run but a sign that the dog isn't being allowed out of it much is when they poop in it (ok there are exceptions some dogs poop more often and can't hold it in for as long). If she's ripping his bed he's probably bored, although some dogs just like to rip up their beds.

Laying sand down as suggested and putting down slabs is an idea you can also get really heavy duty rubber cow mats from the Co-Op that you could try.

I'd give her more toys and more walkies if she isn't getting enough that will cut down on the poops in the run and make her more tired so she doesn't rip up her bed as much.

Perhaps tack down the vet bed to the floor of the kennel itself or lay a slab of insulation down on the floor of the kennel then nail down a sheet of marine plywood that way the dog still has a warmish floor to sleep on. If that works then you could try laying down a really heavy duty rubber mat on the top or use shredded paper or hay could be a last resort.

You could also insulate the rest of the kennel the same way so even if the dog acts the maggot the bones of the kennel would still be warm.

Advertisement