Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for work in Ireland...3 months notice period

Options
  • 22-11-2011 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hello, I have an issue - I work in IT, in Germany, and I have a standard 3-months notice period in my current job (which I like...can't say the same about the rest, the country, the city, etc...)

- In theory I can negotiate a shorter notice period when I leave...but there's only one way to know if my employer would let me go earlier...

- I understand that for many Irish employers waiting for 3+ months to get an employee starting is a no-go (German employment laws are a lot stricter and unflexible than the Irish ones, that's why this stupid 3-months notice period rule...)

So...what are my options?

- Don't mention this in my resume, but only during interviews, and try to be convincing about the fact that "I can be here in 1-2 months"?

- Lie in my resume, writing "one/two months notice period", and hoping that in case I resign from my current job, my employer agrees on a shorter notice period?

- Leave my job now, and hope to find a new one in Ireland quickly, in those "3-months gap" before becoming officially unemployed? In this way my notice period would be shorter and shorter...

- Speak with my employer now about this, and have in writing a shorter notice period in case I want to resign (threatening to leave now otherwise...they need me by the way at the moment)

- ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

I was advised, that unless you have been working in a company for over ten yrs, they can only hold you to one month's notice. My contract states 8 weeks notice, but if the opportunity arose, I'd only have to give 4 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

OP what area of IT do you work in? There are a good few specialties in high demand in Ireland at the moment and you'd have a job in a heartbeat if you wanted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

OP - as RATM said, there's a shortage of experienced IT staff at the moment. We've been trying to recruit for a while and have allowed for longer notice periods for the right candidates.
    missbelle wrote: »
    I was advised, that unless you have been working in a company for over ten yrs, they can only hold you to one month's notice. My contract states 8 weeks notice, but if the opportunity arose, I'd only have to give 4 weeks.

That doesn't sound right to me - and the OP is in Germany, not Ireland anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

honestly stay in germany.... here in ireland the germans are taxing us to death so you wont see much of a benefit to moving here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tweener

honestly stay in germany.... here in ireland the germans are taxing us to death so you wont see much of a benefit to moving here.

There are many other things in life, apart from the economy and taxation...Ireland remains a quite good place where living, one of the few non-Scandinavian countries to score high in the quality of life indexes...definitely better than the UK and Germany.
    And the economy in Germany is not so good like the German propaganda wants you to believe...official "average" unemployment is at 7%, which is not exactly "low", and in any case in some areas unemployment is at 20% (areas full of neo-nazi scums, which in Ireland you have the luck to not yet have). And the economy is over-regulated and full of taxes. The average German is basically mobbed and abused by his government...but he/she accepts it, or at least thinks that he/she can't do anything about it.

So I have the right to choose where I want to live, even if from an "financial" point of view it doesn't make much sense. I will gain from a mental point of view...there are many behaviors here, especially in the workplace, that in the English-speaking world are considered plain rude, mobbing, and toxic...but here are normal and accepted. Don't get me started on the lack of customer service and common courtesy in everyday life...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭uli84

RATM wrote: »
    OP There are a good few specialties in high demand in Ireland at the moment and you'd have a job in a heartbeat if you wanted.

Please, please, may someone enlighten me what are these specialities? I would be grateful - mind I am not an IT person myself so it is not obvious to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,732 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Skilled Java developers are highly sought after ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

There are some industries in Ireland where 3 month notice periods aren't unheard of. My own (actuarial) is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭missbelle

Eoin wrote: »
    That doesn't sound right to me - and the OP is in Germany, not Ireland anyway.

Sorry, my bad! Well I was told by a recruiter that I only need to give 4 weeks legally, maybe I need to double check his info :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,239 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There is a legal notice period, but if you agree to a longer one than you're bound to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I just made the same movement you did OP. In the end, I had to take the plunge and give notice without having secured a new job (with a family of 5, it wasn't an easy decision)

I started looking immediately after giving notice, but mentioning availability was always a put off, as 4 weeks is the usual wait-time for a start date.

I gave up looking for the first month, and started again with about 8 weeks to go. By this time, I would say I was available in 1 month, given that the interview process could take 1-2 weeks, and I could stretch it out by waiting a few more days here & there in between phone calls.

I also mentioned that my availability may need to extend a little long than usual, as I was relocating, i.e. "Technically I'm available in four weeks, but as I am moving country, I may need a little more time" This was usually met positively.

In the end, I had a company come in with an offer, and OK with 6 weeks to start date.

Don't mention notice period on your CV and certainly don't put it on your CV with false details. Get yourself in an interview, prove yourself, then work it in softly.

When I was working there, LOTS of people negotiated shorter notice periods, but it was only give if it suited BOTH parties. Don't burn your bridges if you want to use them as a reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

uli84 wrote: »
    Please, please, may someone enlighten me what are these specialities? I would be grateful - mind I am not an IT person myself so it is not obvious to me.

all areas of IT are in demand. The ammount of cork avaible at the moment is mad and salaries are on the rise.

vmware
    storage
    programming
    project mgt
    IT mgt

the list goes on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tweener

Jagera wrote: »
    I just made the same movement you did OP. In the end, I had to take the plunge and give notice without having secured a new job (with a family of 5, it wasn't an easy decision)

I started looking immediately after giving notice, but mentioning availability was always a put off, as 4 weeks is the usual wait-time for a start date.

I gave up looking for the first month, and started again with about 8 weeks to go. By this time, I would say I was available in 1 month, given that the interview process could take 1-2 weeks, and I could stretch it out by waiting a few more days here & there in between phone calls.

I also mentioned that my availability may need to extend a little long than usual, as I was relocating, i.e. "Technically I'm available in four weeks, but as I am moving country, I may need a little more time" This was usually met positively.

In the end, I had a company come in with an offer, and OK with 6 weeks to start date.

Don't mention notice period on your CV and certainly don't put it on your CV with false details. Get yourself in an interview, prove yourself, then work it in softly.

When I was working there, LOTS of people negotiated shorter notice periods, but it was only give if it suited BOTH parties. Don't burn your bridges if you want to use them as a reference.

Hi Jagera...did you move from Germany? If yes, are you happy about the move?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Tweener wrote: »
    Hi Jagera...did you move from Germany? If yes, are you happy about the move?
    Thanks

Not from Germany, but the circumstances were the same re notice period etc. Happy about the move? I would go and live in Germany (Bavaria anyway) again no problem. But we moved for family reasons. My circumstances, and experiences will not necessarily be the same as your own.

How long you been there? Do you speak German? Are you with family, alone? Are you 100% decided on leaving, or just contemplating it.. etc..

Advertisement