Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel insurance claim

Options
  • 22-11-2011 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I am about to start the process of trying to claim from my travel insurance for my travel expenses.

I was on holiday in the USA for a couple of weeks when my cousin and close friend tragically died in a car accident. It cost me over €900 to get home at short notice, i also had an internal flight worth €250 that i needed to cancel.

The definition of close family does not seem to include cousin on my policy, so im pretty worried that it will be refused because of this. But am I covered for close friend?
    Anyone have any tips on dealing with travel insurance companies, as i here they are a nightmare to deal with. Im under a lot of stress at the moment and dont know if I can deal with this, is it worth pursuing?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It will all depend on the policy itself and how it's worded, so it's nigh on impossible for anyone to tell you. Did you contact the insurers helpline to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Family members are usually defined. If cousin is not included, then you have no claim.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'm sorry for your loss Aggers. Ring your insurer and see, AFAIK it depends on the policy/insurer. My cousin had to pay a couple of thousand for a flight home from Brazil when my Grandad died two years ago. He was lucky in that the insurance covered death of grandparents, but when he was chatting to a couple of his travelling companions afterwards they'd checked their various policies and some of them only covered parents/siblings/children.

Advertisement