Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof Valley Fibreglass tanking/lead?

• 22-11-2011 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,
    I'm currently undertaking a self-build and would like to throw a question out there to the Roofers amoung ye...
    My roofer has asked me what way i would like to do a quite sizable valley on the roof of my house,
    brief discription of the valley: it is about 3 meters long and between 2 roofs sloping with a 120 degree ridge tile on both roofs ( or in other words, the roofs are not pitched high)
    my question is would you consider using a fibreglass tanking system on it or do it in a more traditional way, say lead for example,
    I think i would prefer lead but would take advice before making any decision on it from someone with more experence in the area.
    So if anybody could help or tell me " dont do it!" it would be great..

Fairplay!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Double Barrel

Just so I (we) understand, your roof has a 30° pitch/slope or a 7 and 12 pitch?

As far as flashing type's go call me old fashioned.

At least 20 oz. plain copper or lead coated copper, 36" wide x preferably full length. Tried and true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭jack of all

I'd go for a Trocal metal or similar PVC laminated metal valley- continuous, no seams and quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

gone away from leading due to cracking and all the seams that allow water in. trocal is a good job. fibreglass i think is better but i reckon stainless steel welded on site is the ultimate job. seen it done on a few jobs and couldnt recomend it highly enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mattwoodturner

Have heard of a rubber system that works very well in all climates. Can look into it in detail if your interested?

Advertisement