Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad 2 for Dad

Options
  • 22-11-2011 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just wondering does anyone think an iPad 2 would be good for my Dad for christmas. Myself and my brothers are thinking of getting itfor him between us. Only prob is he's a bit of a technophobe. Although he has been saying he wanted to learn how to use a computer. We could also show my mam how to use it.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

In my opinion, I'd get someone a laptop before launching them straight into ipad territory. If your mam or dad learn how to use it, they'll still be pretty out of their depth anywhere else, like an internet cafe etc..
    Also, much easier if he wanted to burn a CD or watch a DVD.

Even an apple imac maybe? I'd just be dubious about getting a 'technophobe' an ipad, some people do not like dealing with touch-screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

Cheers Posy. I don't think we could afford an imac. Only reason we thought of getting him one its not too expensive when we all bunch together and it seems pretty easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Hey woodzie, for what it's worth I'd say go for it. I use mine all the time and much prefer it to a laptop. It's easy to use and has the added benefit go being able to expand the page making it easier to read. If your dad is a technophobe he may as well learn on an iPad as a laptop. The iOS 5 will also mean that most of the info on his iPad will also be on his iPhone if he uses one. I think it would be a great gift.

Well, at the end of the day, you know what your dad would like and be able to use more than anyone. I'm probably just bias against apples, always been a PC person! If you all think he'd like it, then go for it- I'm sure it'd find a good home with one of you if he doesn't use it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

An iPad is great, very easy to use and the portability and battery life is fantastic. If he's only using it for surfing, reading & sending a few emails. It's perfect. If you want to get something a little more pc-based, a mac mini is a good alternative. One thing I'd have to push re: macs & your aul lad - is they don't get viruses. I'm mithered with my own father and his windows PC being overrun with crap every so often... If you want a hassle free life, go for the mac!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Lynfo

Posy wrote: »
    In my opinion, I'd get someone a laptop before launching them straight into ipad territory.

I'd have to disagree with this. My father in law is a complete and utter technophobe, but he's getting himself an ipad2 this week. They are so, so easy to use, almost foolproof (imo). He has a laptop and has got himself into a whole lot of messes with it, I think an ipad would be a great gift, perfect for the older generation too.

I didn't know they couldn't get viruses.. that's a definite bonus alright! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

olaola wrote: »
    One thing I'd have to push re: macs & your aul lad - is they don't get viruses.

They don't get viruses? Of course they do, maybe not as often as windows but they definitely do get viruses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

They don't get viruses? Of course they do, maybe not as often as windows but they definitely do get viruses

The likeyhood of getting a virus is slim to none. I mean in percentage to a windows pc it's absoutely tiny. In all my years of Mac ownership, I've never had one. In my own experience, my father in law has a mac mini = no viruses. My Dad has windows = lots of viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

olaola wrote: »
    The likeyhood of getting a virus is slim to none. I mean in percentage to a windows pc it's absoutely tiny. In all my years of Mac ownership, I've never had one. In my own experience, my father in law has a mac mini = no viruses. My Dad has windows = lots of viruses.

Guess which one of the two is looking at dirty websites. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Dean820 wrote: »
    Guess which one of the two is looking at dirty websites. :p

Ha thats exactly what I was thinking.

Ipad's are really easy to get the hang of even for technophobes and are much easier to get used to than a laptop.

Without putting a rush on you today is a good day to buy one.
    35 Euro off on the Apple one day sale, I know its not exactly a huge discount, if you are going to get one anyway.

The WIFI one will probably be good enough.

http://store.apple.com/ie/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad/select

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

Cheers for all the responses guys. Decided to go ahead and get him an iPad. Went onto the apple website this morning and as their was a sale on decided to buy myself one too.

Advertisement