Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency Tax, Whos getting it ?

Options
  • 22-11-2011 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I had a look at the other threads but I have some specific questions that I couldnt find the answer to.

My employer is deducting emergency tax since i started 8 weeks ago. I havent been too bothered upto now as I saw it as money in the bank coming up to christmas.

I rang the revenue commissoners on another matter and out of curiosity I asked how long it would take to issue my tax credits to my new employer and I was told they had no record of any new employer !!

Has the company been taking the tax and keeping it ?

Does my take the emergency tax and once they get the correct credits they pay the revenue the correct ammount and reimburse the remainder to me ?

Or do they give all the emergency tax to the revenue and then the revenue reimburse ?

Im obviously not working there long and dont want to kick up needlessly but if they are doing anything dodgy id like to know because I dont want any hassle from the tax office especially since I have been forking out the tax in the first place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Have you being getting payslips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

when you get your tax cert it all comes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

In theory you get all your emergency tax paid back but there are employers who retain tax payments and fail to pass them on to Revenue - basically they use their employees PRSI and Tax as Working Capital.
    Not uncommon for revenue to liquidate companies for unpaid PAYE / PRSI.

Not saying your employer is doing this btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Firegaurd wrote: »
    I had a look at the other threads but I have some specific questions that I couldnt find the answer to.

My employer is deducting emergency tax since i started 8 weeks ago. I havent been too bothered upto now as I saw it as money in the bank coming up to christmas.

I rang the revenue commissoners on another matter and out of curiosity I asked how long it would take to issue my tax credits to my new employer and I was told they had no record of any new employer !!

Has the company been taking the tax and keeping it ?

Does my take the emergency tax and once they get the correct credits they pay the revenue the correct ammount and reimburse the remainder to me ?

Or do they give all the emergency tax to the revenue and then the revenue reimburse ?

Im obviously not working there long and dont want to kick up needlessly but if they are doing anything dodgy id like to know because I dont want any hassle from the tax office especially since I have been forking out the tax in the first place.

It's a common occurrence that either an employer or employee forgets/doesn't bother to contact Revenue about a new position. That is one of the reasons for emergency tax, it prompts the employer or employee to contact Revenue to sort out the situation.

If you do not bother to register your employment with Revenue you will continue to be emergency taxed until you finish and are given your P45. So long as your employer is giving you payslips everytime you are paid showing all deductions, then at least you have evidence of tax deducted.

Revenue do not know on a weekly or monthly basis what tax you are paying. By submitting P45's and end of year P35's to Revenue, employers show how you were taxed by them.

The links below explains more.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/faqs/tax-credits-emergency-tax.html

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/leaflets/it11.html

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

Can you not give revenue the name and tax number for your employer. I am not saying that he/she is keeping the prsi or tax but 8 weeks is along time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

Have you being getting payslips?

Yes Ive been getting payslips with the breakdown of paye prsi etc detailed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

Lisa2011 wrote: »
    Can you not give revenue the name and tax number for your employer. I am not saying that he/she is keeping the prsi or tax but 8 weeks is along time.

Thats what I will be doing but I also find the 8 week period along time too.
    The only reason I havent kicked up is that technically I am working a 3 day week but it is 6 days together and then 8 days off. 5 of the 6 days fall in one week and the other day in the next week. Because of this I dont really feel it until the long week when i'm expecting a greater payment.

Advertisement