Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decided to pursue maintenance

Options
  • 22-11-2011 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

During the summer I put a post up asking people if they thought I should pursue maintenace. I've now had my baby, she's 16 weeks old. Her Dad knows she has been born, but still has no interest in meeting her. Due to my financial situation I had to return to work at 11 weeks after having her. I 've returned to work part-time 2-3 days, but struggling with covering child minder fees and the general cost of living.
    When I wrote the original post I was unsure about pursueing maintenance. However, I feel I've no choice now other than to pursue it. The father of the baby hasn't volunteered any money, when I've contacted him about it, he tells me he's on welfare and can't afford it etc. However, he finds money for cigarettes, drink and poker. I suggested he faced his responsibilities and made some lifestyle changes to which I received an abusive reply (via text).
    So I 'm just posting this to see if anyone has had an experience with dealing with a maintenance order? plus is it an expensive process?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭battleaxe88

Are you claiming single parents? Im assuming you are. In my experience they will persue it for you. They should write to the father requesting his financial information, income and outgoings etc. Then they will assess what they feel he can afford to pay. If you are rewarded maintenece and he refuses to pay it thats when you will be responsible for taking him to the family courts etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Have you applied for FIS, and any other benefits you may be entitled to?

Still pursue maintenance, of course! But also give citizens advice a call, they'll be able to tell you what benefits, if any you are able to claim.

January wrote: »
    Have you applied for FIS, and any other benefits you may be entitled to?

Still pursue maintenance, of course! But also give citizens advice a call, they'll be able to tell you what benefits, if any you are able to claim.

I agree, the best place to find out everything your entitled to is citizens advice, but i think the one family parent is what you should claim for if you havent already. As far as I know you can earn up to €400 p/w without it affecting your OFP payment, thats about €200p/w. You would probably qualify for fuel allowance as well, another €25 p/w. You might be entitled to some help with rent if needed. I know you were looking for advise on persuing maintenece. I only give you this info because you metioned he's unemployed so you might not be awarded much.
    Hope this helps, really hate seeing you had to return to work so soon, even if its only part-time.
    www.welfare.ie will have any info you need and rates etc.

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

No, I've not applied for any benefits. I've heard of One parent family payment, I do have the application for that. As for rent supplement, I'm currently renting private accommodation, but the agency I rent through don't accept rent allowance. And I've never heard of FIS - what's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/family_income_supplement.html
    Family Income Supplement (FIS) is a weekly tax-free payment available to employees with children. It gives extra financial support to people on low pay. You cannot qualify for FIS if you are only self-employed - you must be an employee to qualify.

• Advertisement

You should apply for that sooner rather than later. Have you been with the LL long? If your a good tenant he might make an exception . I think most agencies state that to put off people already on rent allowance from renting the apartments. Cant imagine they'd say no if you already live there and your circumstances have changed. FIS is family income support, probably not for you, not really a lot of money compared to OFP. Genereally for families with the mam and dad working and still earning under a certain amount, its means tested. With OFP you get a better tax rate also. You will be able to claim back tax for the past few weeks you've been working. On the OFP forms they ask for details of the father and how much he gives you. When they see its zero thats when they will start looking for his info. They will contact him directly. You should get your OFP payment back dated from the time your baby was born, so 16 weeks of payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Can I suggest a call down to the local Citizen Advice Centre

http://centres.citizensinformation.ie/

Talk to one of the people there about what benefits you should be claiming

Good Luck

Advertisement