Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bio Cycle Septic Unit

Options
  • 22-11-2011 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have been living in my house for 5 years.

I have a bio cycle unit (not the brand, just that type of unit) in my garden - I live in the countryside.

The unit works fine but the electric part on it is constantly humming and has starting making a slightly louder noise (not much)

My next door neighbour has exactly the same unit but it makes no noise at all - it's completely silent and works perfect.

I want to get it checked but not sure who I could get out to check it and give it a service.

I have had the tank emptied twice but guy that came round knows nothing about the mechanics of them.

Live in Cavan/Meath area.

Thanks for advice.

Jinky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaleRider

Post a photo - It might be the air pump, or the effluent pump. Is the top shaped like a surf board?. Some times the air pump is housed a short distance away from tank. The air pump lasts 5-6 years. There are not that many manufacturers.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

PaleRider wrote: »
    Post a photo - It might be the air pump, or the effluent pump. Is the top shaped like a surf board?. Some times the air pump is housed a short distance away from tank. The air pump lasts 5-6 years. There are not that many manufacturers.

Yes it looks like a surfboard alright and the electric unit was originally sitting on top of it - looked like a submarine but we moved it off and place it beside it instead - below are pics.

There is no make on it but there is a number on it but i remember trying it before and not having much luck with them - it was a northern ireland phone number

Did a google check on the phone number and its Klargester
    3a, Carnbane Industrial Estate, Newry, Co. Down, BT35 6QJ

So that's the make:)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ruffmut

That looks like the one I have and it's an Envirocare P6 treatment plant.

http://www.envirocare.ie/sewage_treatment/p6_p12.aspx

Envirocare Pollution Control
    Dundalk Road, Carrickmacross
    Co Monaghan
    Tel: +353 (0) 42 9690033
    Fax: +353 (0) 42 9690030
    Email: sales@envirocare.ie

ruffmut wrote: »
    That looks like the one I have and it's an Envirocare P6 treatment plant.

http://www.envirocare.ie/sewage_treatment/p6_p12.aspx

Envirocare Pollution Control
    Dundalk Road, Carrickmacross
    Co Monaghan
    Tel: +353 (0) 42 9690033
    Fax: +353 (0) 42 9690030
    Email: sales@envirocare.ie

That's the one!!!

You had it long? Problems? Noise?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ruffmut

I had it installed in 2007. Moved into the house Jan 08.

No problems with it and the air pump makes a slight humming sound but has been from day one. I did have to get it emptied last year though.

I'm been quoted 150 plus vat for a service on it - Its working and Ive emptied it a few times (didn't really need to but just wanted to be sure) - its just the humming noise is loud enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

i researched this at the time as i was afraid of this happeming, as i got the impression the companies were having their cake and eating it with regards me buying it and then paying approx 200 euro for annual check other wise warranty is void.

so i got one of these instead; http://www.biorock-uk.com/

good job. put it in the ground for the rest of my time! no running costs

kboc wrote: »
    i researched this at the time as i was afraid of this happeming, as i got the impression the companies were having their cake and eating it with regards me buying it and then paying approx 200 euro for annual check other wise warranty is void.

so i got one of these instead; http://www.biorock-uk.com/

good job. put it in the ground for the rest of my time! no running costs

What was the initial outlay on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaleRider

Sorry busy this last few days. Anyway as suggested the tank is a P6. I have one myself. The pump costs 160 Euro check out.

http://www.anuaenv.ie/product-catalogue/blowers/platinum-blowers

Would be easy enough to fit depending on if you can afford service. However, it might be best to have tank checked over.

• Advertisement

jinkybhoy wrote: »
    What was the initial outlay on that?

approx 3000 euro for unit plus 500 euro for 900 gallon holding tank

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

kboc,
    does this system take your grey waters or have you to treat them on their own?

L driver wrote: »
    kboc,
    does this system take your grey waters or have you to treat them on their own?

all waste

kboc,
    did you install it yourself? will it meet irish regs? sorry bout q's I don't know much about this and need to wise up.

L driver wrote: »
    kboc,
    did you install it yourself? will it meet irish regs? sorry bout q's I don't know much about this and need to wise up.

installed it myself, quiet simple

I am in NI and it meets the UK standards no prob, in fact it registered some of the highest figure in a German test. They say you could drink the water from
    it!!!

There is boys in Kerry selling them for Ireland, although i got mine from England due to VAT and selfbuild exemption in NI.

By the way, the one i bought for 3000 euro was the bigger of the two units, so they can be got for cheaper than 3000 euro

kboc,
    could you pm me details of your supplier pls. I like the idea of not using power plus the free drinking water!!!

sent

• Registered Users Posts: 16 landel

Hi kboc,

Could you send me a pm also please?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 podgecase

hey. Does anyone no the life span of a Envirocare P6 Unit. Was suggested by a rival treatment system(concrete) rep that it was only 15 years??? Would mean that i'd have used 2 before house paid for??

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭The Engineer

Chaps, best tread carefully here. Beware of anyone that claims that effluent can be treated to such high levels that you can drink it. The costs involved in getting it this clean can be extremely high and are not necessary for one-off houses. It sounds good when a sales rep says it, but the clue is in the name: SALES rep! :)

Also, filter system suppliers (like the Biorock system) often claim that it works without power, but this is mainly on sites that have shallow bedrock and water table. In other words, sites that the majority of the time you will end up installing (or "getting away with" as most people would say) a septic tank. For other sites, you will need to pump to the biofilter system, and then possibly pump again to the polishing filter / percolation area…not so cheap and low-cost now, is it?!

And, finally, for those wonderful sites with deep soils over water and bedrock, the depth of your percolation pipes are so low in the ground, you had better hope that you they are installed perfectly and never get clogged (note: this will almost never happen - percolation pipes get clogged. Full stop! That's why SR6:1991 recommended a reserve percolation area. Those boffins in the EPA obviously think that's overkill??).

One final tip: Always ask the supplier / sales rep / etc. what guarantees you are getting with the system. Ask if a detailed design will be done for your specific site (i.e. not some regurgitated rubbish where a few numbers are changed). You want to get a report from them, signed off by their professional (e.g. engineer) and always ask for a copy of their Professional Indemnity Insurance. If it does not contain the words "Design of on-site treatment systems" on it, then they are not insured for doing this work and you would be best served to run a mile! Any reputable firm will be able to provide an engineered solution - if they do not have an in-house engineer, ask them to get one to do the design for you. What this does is pass the liability for a defective design back onto them, and gives you an excellent course for redress if the system does not work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 grasser

i fitted an envirocare system and from my experience the next system i will fit will be concrete and not fiberglass so keep that in mind, also this is the one thing around the house that you don t want to have trouble with its a huge job with large costs when things go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

jinkybhoy wrote: »
    Yes it looks like a surfboard alright and the electric unit was originally sitting on top of it - looked like a submarine but we moved it off and place it beside it instead - below are pics.

There is no make on it but there is a number on it but i remember trying it before and not having much luck with them - it was a northern ireland phone number

Hopefully the OP's still on Boards.

Question - does your system drain to the septic field via gravity, or through a pump? I have the identical Envirocare P6 and the aerator in my yard (yes, looks a bit like a surfboard.) Been in place since 2004 when the house was built.

Ours has a pump as the field is some distance away and slightly uphill. The pump's giving me trouble now.

I'm trying to determine what pump it has, as it seems like the pump needs a new float switch but I don't have the model number of the pump. The float looks a bit like a blue disc, attached to the pump through a short length of black tubing which I guess contains the wire.

Thanks

Igotadose wrote: »
    Hopefully the OP's still on Boards.

Question - does your system drain to the septic field via gravity, or through a pump? I have the identical Envirocare P6 and the aerator in my yard (yes, looks a bit like a surfboard.) Been in place since 2004 when the house was built.

Ours has a pump as the field is some distance away and slightly uphill. The pump's giving me trouble now.

I'm trying to determine what pump it has, as it seems like the pump needs a new float switch but I don't have the model number of the pump. The float looks a bit like a blue disc, attached to the pump through a short length of black tubing which I guess contains the wire.

Thanks
    Hi - Still here!!

I've repaced the air pump motor thing twice since then - As far as I can make out it goes to septic field by gravity - the only mechanics I have is the pump which pumps the waster up into the tank and through the filter system - get it emptied every 2 years. Still makes an annoying humming noise though but used to it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

I have the ASWAFLOW. Its being problamatic from the start until i figured out the main aerator was tripping the electricity and for sure blew the control unit out once. i pulled out the heavy aerator and replaced it wiht an above ground air compressor. its working fine since. 4 years. i service it yearly myself by cleaning all the pumps and pipes. couldnt justify the service cost. they dont sell them anymore, so read from that what u like!. id look at ensuring its got a good backup service and simple in design. i clean the percolation pipes also. have a fitting that goes onto power hose that gives them a good clean.

Advertisement