Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizontal navigation question

Options
  • 22-11-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    In my photo website on the top horizontal navigation I have:
    'home', '(photo)blog', 'favourites', 'buy prints' 'about' (which has 'about me' and 'contact' as the drop down options) and 'links.

Just wondering should I change this and group several under 'photos':
    (photo)blog
    favourites
    buy prints

Also (photo)blog is meant to be kind of funny, most people have a link called blog but in my case it's a blog of photos.... Should I just drop that and call it blog, photo or latest photos?

Any better phrase to use than 'buy prints'?

Favourites is called so as I find portfolio sounds more like I'm a professional photographer and I think favourites is easier to understand by all.

Cheers in advance,
    Patrick.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Drop Home as your logo already covers that. Blog, Portfolio, Buy Prints, About, Contact, Links.

No need for Photo before blog as it's a photgraphy site so that's implicit. Use portfolio as it's what people expect, as you are selling prints you are professional and it creates confusion with Internet Explorer favorites/bookmarks. No need for dropdown either so all nav options are immediately obvious. Buy Prints is fine.

You only have nav links at the header when they should be spread throughout the height of the homepage ie. top middle and bottom. Users have to scroll all the way back up on long pages like the blog.

Add a footer text nav (with home link) and put more nav into the middle of your homepage where users are most likely to navigate from ie. the 3 services column boxes by making the headings and photos links. Likewise with 'available to purchase' and 'selection of my hand-picked favourite photogrpah', link them to their respective pages.

Correct your spelling, punctuation and grammar mistakes (photogrpahs and it’s on the homepage).

The rest of your site also needs a lot of work. The shop is badly executed eg. to buy a print, users have to type in the photo name on a different page ie. out of context, but also some photos don't have names.

hth/gl

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

navigation appearing wrong here: http://www.photoblog.ie/buy-print/
    why is there a smiley face on top left

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Thanks for the quick replies.
    i posted in the 'websites review' forum ages ago but barely got a reply so it's nice to get replies this time.

I've changed the navigation- thanks.

I don't think I can currently make the title and images on homepage clickable; I'm using a theme forest template. I may have requested this feature beforehand.

the little smily face was something to do with some plugin. I have to check and see if I even use the plugin anymore.

I know I need a simplier plugin/solution for buying prints. this was a 'bandage' fix. I'm looking for a (free ideally), easy solution.

I do have more questions if ye don't mind-
    about page
    I used 'i' instead of 'I' throughout. Copied this from some other site I saw, thought it was nice/fun. Thought on it?

Should I shorten my about page? A lot of sites have bare facts, they keep it very short. My logic was that it gives a bit of an insight into me, make the reader 'get to know me'. Rather than a factual, short text page?

Recaptcha that I use for when people want to comment on a page/post. would this put some people off commenting?

should my landing page by my homepage or blog page?

thanks again.

Advertisement