Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance from a UK company??

Options
  • 22-11-2011 9:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Im just wondering is it possible to get insurance from a company in the UK,when the business is operating in Ireland and is an Irish business

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ehhh,why would you want to do that?

Wouldnt it be much easier to get insured with an Irish based insurer?
    :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,355 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The bigger insurance companies like Allianz and Aviva will refer you to their Irish office, any UK insurer with no Irish operation which elects to take your money will probably give you the runaround if you try to claim, I'd avoid it I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭caddy2

ok thanks guys, interesting about the claims situation

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

I'd reccommend paying the extra and staying in Ireland. Remember when the UK Independent went belly up, the Irish policyholders were not covered at all. Unlike the UK policyholders of Quin.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Richie_c

What does your business do?

Don't listen to people talking about the run around from a claims perspective, its b/s. There's any number of london / lloyds based companies offering products in the Irish market through various different schemes and various Irish companies!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Richie_c wrote: »

Don't listen to people talking about the run around from a claims perspective, its b/s. There's any number of london / lloyds based companies offering products in the Irish market through various different schemes and various Irish companies!
    Yes, but they are operating through underwriting agencies based here. I, personally, would not deal directly with the UK companies purely from a service point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

ravima wrote: »
    I'd reccommend paying the extra and staying in Ireland. Remember when the UK Independent went belly up, the Irish policyholders were not covered at all. Unlike the UK policyholders of Quin.
    I had a uk indepndent classic car policy thru' Carole Nash, I was covered when they went belly up.

oldyouth wrote: »

Yes, but they are operating through underwriting agencies based here. I, personally, would not deal directly with the UK companies purely from a service point of view

I'm fully aware of that! There's no one operating in Ireland from a UK base (that I'm aware of) so he'd have to use a broker! In terms of claims thats what they're paid to do so he shouldn't have any issues with dealing with the the insurers claims departments. I've placed business into Lloyds with no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

UK Independent MOTOR policies were OK as that is COMPULSORY insurance in both IRELAND and UK.

Pity the employers who had EMPLOYER LIABILITY claims and who had to close down. EL is not compulsory in IRELAND so tough...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

There's no one operating in Ireland from a UK base (that I'm aware of) so he'd have to use a broker!
    There are many

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »
    There's no one operating in Ireland from a UK base (that I'm aware of) so he'd have to use a broker!
    There are many

Such as?

Advertisement