Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitting 5months mark, in london

Options
  • 21-11-2011 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Hey guys,
    how are yez,!!:)

In the hope of not getting aloada wrotten veg thrown at me for posting in the wrong area,:D(forgot where these kinda ones go :rolleyes:),,,

i was wandering if i could get some of your opinions from those of you whov been in london quite a while now.

Im nearly 5 months here now and i cant belive where the time has gone nearly xmas an all! :eek: lol,,,

really settled now but lately im like feeling weird ,,im kinda like ...Im still here>>? whats going on ,,begining to question what am i doing .

work is going great area i live is grand ..so i guess im wandering did any of yes feel like this after a few months ,,or maybe its just me getting ustoo the normality of the daily grind,,,im not home sik altho i miss home but not to the extent tha i have to go home,. any opinions ???:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Determined

Sounds a bit like homesickness undiagnosed! are you over there on your own?
    Living abroad myself at the moment and meeting some people from home is great for the spirits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

oh no! i don wanna be home sik lol!

yea i moved over on my own but met alota new people and iv family here too,,freinds visiting at the weekend and going to see my cousin soon so maybe that may help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Teasey

Hi McKenzie

I know exactly what you mean, it hit myself and my partner around the 6 month mark - it's probably a little earlier for you cos Xmas does that to people!!

You do miss some bits of home, the comfort of having your family around you, the friends that have known you all your life and just "get" you, the old haunts - basically the familarity of the life you've always known. But at the same time you're loving all of the new opportunities a place like London throws at you.... I think it's perfectly natural, think about it - you'd be worried if you could leave everything behind and not care! But it doesn't mean you're going to pack it all in and get on the next Ryanair flight out of Gatwick

Visiting your family will definitely help. I also find a trip to Asda for a bottle of Club Orange and a 6 pack of Tayto and a night watching Mrs Brown's Boys makes it more bearable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I also found the 6 month mark difficult aswell. They say home sickness hits you 2 weeks, 6 months and 2 years.

I didn't really have any problem with 2 weeks but with going into work in the dark and coming out in the dark in November sent me over the edge and was ready to pack it all up and move back at the 6 month mark.

But stick it out, I made myself busy the Christmas markets are a great place to spend a hour or two, just try get out of the house and keep busy. That is what I found to help..

And remember Christmas is just around the corner and you might be going home!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dr.Giggles

I get home sick every few months! sometimes London is just too big! My ever reassuring mother said to me last night that if I was to be abducted no one would notice I was missing for a few days..I had to have a giant cup of barry's after that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Dr.Giggles wrote: »
    I get home sick every few months! sometimes London is just too big! My ever reassuring mother said to me last night that if I was to be abducted no one would notice I was missing for a few days..I had to have a giant cup of barry's after that.

Ah, but be honest now - there are remarkably few things that can't be fixed by a giant cup of Barry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

Especially when you know the places to buy a fresh stash of Barry's :)

All I need now is some Irish milk and Irish tap water...

Advertisement