Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

saving for deposit?

Options
  • 21-11-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

looking to put the head down after xmas and start saving for deposit. i currently have bank account with BOI and the missus has a bank account with AIB. we both also have seperate credit union accounts. Would we be better off opening up a new joint bank acccount and start saving in that each week or just continue saving in our own bank acccounts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I think that's the simplest way. They'll look for what savings you have. More importantly is to show a regular amount going into an account and the money remaining untouched. Only put in what you can save comfortably don't be say putting in 1000 one month and taking out some of it next month. Keep saving a fixed amount and adding to it if you are able without withdrawing.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Marco85

Whats the best bank these days to be saving with considering most of them are fecked?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Dr. Dodger

Use Ulster Bank myself with the g/f. You can save up to €1,000 per month but the interest rate is 4.25% up to a max of €15k, lower on the balance thereafter. That was one of the best we could find at the time. We've opened a 2nd one in her name now too to benefit from the higher rate. Worth checking out. Only thing is, it's not that flexible on amount saved each month, you have to specify an amount to be taken out via DD. But sure if you keep it at a realistic amount you should be fine. This can be changed but you have to go to a branch to do it.

Advertisement