Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBook Pro SSD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

No, it's a bracket for a desktop PC.

What you're looking for is an Optibay and while I think they're easy to replace, I remember you being worried about replacing the RAM in your machine so I dunno...

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭taylorconor95

I remember you being worried about replacing the RAM in your machine so I dunno...

Yeah that time I was really more worried about the warranty more than anything... I replaced the RAM with no bother obviously so other than that what brands of these optibays would you recommend?

Wow I just went onto the actual optibay website theres no way I'm paying $99 for this thing I thought it would just be a tenner :)

Any alternatives?

It'll invalidate your warranty if you do any damage. Some of those connectors are pretty flimsy!

There are plenty of Optibay knock offs on eBay.

Hmm I may just leave the HDD out full time and use it as an external if things start filling up

• Advertisement

Yeah, I didn't bother with an Optibay for my current machine. Just bought the biggest SSD I could afford. I'm not much of a hoarder of files anyway. That said, I'm currently currently looking at around 160GB used including a modest iTunes library, a few Steam games and a Win7 VM.

Just as a side note how much space does a VM windows 7 take up?

Mine is around 28GB.

Hey if I get this optibay and install it, how is the disk recognized? Is it mounted at boot? Also what if I unmount it to save battery, and only re-mount it when I need it, is that possible?

It shows up as a Serial ATA hard disk and yes you can unmount it if you like.

• Advertisement

It shows up as a Serial ATA hard disk and yes you can unmount it if you like.

Cool, but would you have to reboot to remount? Surely theres another way of doing that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why would you even bother unmounting it?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Why would you even bother unmounting it?

Save battery life

Probably not necessary really, but you can remount the drive from Terminal or Disk Utility.

Advertisement