Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Insurance Number?

Options
  • 21-11-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi all just started work in Northern Ireland and i need a national insurance number.

i have a number to ring up about it but just wondering how long it takes to get a number and what details you need? and as im working 9 to 6, it says on the website you need an appointment which lasts an hour long, how can i do this when ill be working?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ask your employer for the time off. Considering you need the number to work they should be accommodating.

The hour may include waiting time, I can't remember exactly though. I got one a few years ago and the interview certainly didn't last an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭student89

were doing training now for 2weeks so we cant have time off unless were sick etc.

are they open on a saturday do you know?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I doubt it. It is the civil service you are dealing with.

true, ill try get the application in anyway and see if can get the interview after training.

will my tax be high if i dont have a ni number by then? ill be getting paid on the 12-12-11

thanks

They will assign you a temp number and tax you on an emergency basis until you get sorted.

• Advertisement

whats the emergency tax like in the north? the pay is around 440stg every 2weeks, just hope dont get hundreds taken off me. :eek:

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

To call it an ' interview ' is perhaps stretching things - the main thing about this meeting is ID , bring all the photo ID you have - preferably Passport and Driving Licence.
    The interview is all part of anti-fraud measures and something our own Social Welfare should ( but of course don't ) do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Deleted.

That is a commercial site that charges you for something that is really free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭pakb1ue

I was working 7 or so weeks before I applied as I was training for the first 6 weeks, I didnt get any emergency tax just had a temp NI number and then asked them to assign my contributions using the temp NI number to my new NI number.

Interview does take roughly an hour but as already said that does include waiting around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

That is a commercial site that charges you for something that is really free.

Oops, sorry, will edit! :)

Advertisement