Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st ever Job Interview

Options
  • 21-11-2011 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I dont know if Im in posting this in the right forum but here goes anyway.

I am attending an interview for a job as a diesel fitter abroad next week. I have 13 years experience in the job but Ive never beefn at an interview before. I got the interview thorugh a recruitment company. They have been very helpfull. They have said that we can do a mock interview by skype before the real thing, that should be a big help. I just want to get all the info I can on what to do/say and what not to do/say. The job as I said is as a diesel fitter, I assume its better to wear a suit even though the job will require overalls if Im successfull. Or should I just go casual but smart dress?

I will also have a psychometric test which will take about 30 mins, Ive never even heard of one of these before. I have done IQ tests before, Im assuming they are pretty similar. The interview itself is to last an hour. I have to be honest im nervous enough about it so any advice anyone has will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

yes if your doing an interview via skype appearance will be noted so dress up for it. (suit, shirt n tie) it shows you care enough about the job to make an effort.

a sneaky trick u can get away with when doing skype interviews is to have key info about the job posted on a wall behind the camera so u can quickly glance at it if your stuck.

http://www.ucc.ie/careers/students/Job_Search_from_Start_to_Finish/Pscyhometric_Tests.php

check out that link for more info on psychometric tests

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

With 13 years experience you will probably be ok for questions relating to the actual work involved. You should prepare some answers for questions like...
    "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?"
    "Why do you want to work abroad?"
    "What are your strengths / weaknesses?"
    "Give an example of a challenge you encountered, and what you did to overcome it".

You may not get these sorts of questions but it's best to prepare a few.

Advertisement