Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sold insurance but now not covered

Options
  • 21-11-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

HI All

So about five months ago I bought a brand new iphone 4 off done deal, it was unopened and came with original receipt.

I rang around to get insured and advised on all quotation calls that i had purchased from a third party.

I eventually got insurance with one company for 11.99 a month liquid damage included and was told once I have the original receipt I was covered.

So on saturday my phone got wet, i went to make a claim today and it was rejected as my phone was essentially second hand.

I advised that I said this to the agent at sign up and they have been taking the monthly premum every month.

I also asked if perhaps my call was recorded so I could prove this but they said no as I came through a third part online.

Do I have any rights or is it just my own fault for purchasing online and not directly?

Any advice would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

jonevin wrote: »
    HI All

So about five months ago I bought a brand new iphone 4 off done deal, it was unopened and came with original receipt.

I rang around to get insured and advised on all quotation calls that i had purchased from a third party.

I eventually got insurance with one company for 11.99 a month liquid damage included and was told once I have the original receipt I was covered.

So on saturday my phone got wet, i went to make a claim today and it was rejected as my phone was essentially second hand.

I advised that I said this to the agent at sign up and they have been taking the monthly premum every month.

I also asked if perhaps my call was recorded so I could prove this but they said no as I came through a third part online.

Do I have any rights or is it just my own fault for purchasing online and not directly?

Any advice would be great.

Your issue would primarily be with the third party and your word against theirs that you told them it was second hand. Is the third party regulated by central bank as most brokers have to be?

The insurer would have issued terms and conds to be signed. Did you read and sign this? This would have provided details of the cover.

A complaint directly with the broker would need to be made. Sounds like the insurer did nothing wrong but you were misinformed by the broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭jonevin

thanks for the reply,

All i got was an email to state your policy number ect and it was set up.

Yes I do agree that the third party is at fault, i may have to contact them directly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

They took your money, you should be covered, make a formal complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Also let the insurer know you plan to make an application for all correspondence between yourself, the insurer and your broker under the data protection act, if they have the call recorded they'll have to give you a copy. Plus in small claims like this it is a massive negotiating tactic as the man hours required to fulfil a data protection request can be really substantial, especially if you have other insurance with them.

It's not nice but may get your claim covered.

thanks for the reply,

All i got was an email to state your policy number ect and it was set up.

Yes I do agree that the third party is at fault, i may have to contact them directly.

they should be regulated by central bank and responsible under intermidiaries act so make a complaint with them.

Generally mobile phone policys only cover new phones with policy taken out within a number of days of purchase but if you were told different then thats fair enough.

• Advertisement

thanks you for all the replys, I will start emailing the relevant people tomorrow, and will request a Freedom of information request ect.

Surely if they will not replace the phone, I would be entitled to a refund of all the premium I have paid to date.

thanks you for all the replys, I will start emailing the relevant people tomorrow, and will request a Freedom of information request ect.

Surely if they will not replace the phone, I would be entitled to a refund of all the premium I have paid to date.

Also its not a freedom if information request. its a data protection act request.

Freedom of information relates to government bodies.

ok thanks for that

Advertisement