Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have you ever been in a relationship with a significant age gap?

Options
  • 21-11-2011 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭

There is 16 yrs between me and my OH. He has always made comments telling me I shouldn't say this/ or that, telling me "I thought I rased you better than that"(in a half joking way)..he tends to make me feel like a child/and he,s the grown up..and if I get defensive,he says he was only making a joke..or points out what he thinks is the right..I can understand his point of view..however..its not mine..I usually don't say anything..just let things roll off my back..but his snide remarks tend to cut..As the years have passed,its less frequent,but it hurts worse now! I feel like he doesn't see me as his equal partner..even when he assures me I am.

If you're the older in the relationship..do you catch yourself making comments to your OH in the "I'm adult/you're the child"..if so do you do it on purpose..or slip of tongue not mean to way? Do you truly feel your OH is you equal partner?

If your the younger..does this happen to you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I haven't been in your situation, just to clarify - but I'd say he doesn't mean to be hurtful. You've probably already asked him to stop needling you, but have you sat him down and told him it genuinely hurts you?

With a gap like that there will be one partner that will have more experience in life, and that can't be helped. Sounds like you feel like your nose is being rubbed in it a bit, you will have to spell it out for him and tell him how it makes you feel.

My baby sister in law (23) has just moved to Scotland to live with her 47 year old boyfriend who she had spent all of 10 days with prior to going. We're all a little bit devastated but she is happy. Her big thing is that "he treats her like an adult"

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Mascatodreams

My baby sister in law (23) has just moved to Scotland to live with her 47 year old boyfriend who she had spent all of 10 days with prior to going. We're all a little bit devastated but she is happy. Her big thing is that "he treats her like an adult"

ahem..well i have been with my OH since I was 22..we have been together for 19yrs(married for 17 of them) perhaps they will both be happy..I can't say that I would do the age gap over again..not that much of one at that early early of an age..thank you both for answering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

My father's brother married my mother's sister who was 18 yrs his junior. They loved each other dearly. As he reached his late 70s he got everything in order for his wife's life after he was gone. Alas, she predeceased him by about 8 yrs ....... he died in his late 80s. So it can work well!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

My first husband was 17 years older than me....and when we were young the age gap didn't make any difference as he got older it did, its very hard to explain we are divorced and I recently got married again:D, My ex husband in now in his sixties and even though he is very with it! and dose not behave or think like an "old" person he really is form another generation, as I said its hard to explain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

mariaalice wrote: »
    My first husband was 17 years older than me....and when we were young the age gap didn't make any difference as he got older it did, its very hard to explain we are divorced and I recently got married again:D, My ex husband in now in his sixties and even though he is very with it! and dose not behave or think like an "old" person he really is form another generation, as I said its hard to explain.

We should invite your ex on here, he might feel at home!:)

Advertisement