Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24hour Emergency Rations......From Lidl

Options
  • 21-11-2011 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭

I thought I would share this as its quite a cheap way of getting some handy rations together for bug out bags or to have in the car. I needed to replace some of my 24hr packs and this was much cheaper than my previous methods.

Here is the package, everything in my new 24hr rations is from lidl. It weighs 800 grams and has buckets of calories. It also assumes you have plenty of water, cooker and cutlery.
    6376813815_2076ee9a39.jpg
    24hr Rations by krissovo, on Flickr

Here it is laid out

6376814051_0774d436ba.jpg
    24hr rations 2 by krissovo, on Flickr

Contents:

1x Zip lock bag
    2x Breakfast bars
    1 x chocolate bar
    1 x pack of toilet paper/tissues
    1 x pack of savory rice
    1x tin tuna
    1x pack of noddles
    1 x pack of gum
    2x cup a soup
    3x Instant cappuccino

I still need to do the final costing and nutrition counts but all in all has plenty of calories (in excess of 2200) and will do for short periods of time. I will double check but its under €5 per 24hr.

I can vary the meals a bit with different varieties of the products and the tin of tuna can be replaced with corned beef or tinned chicken balls in sauce. Same with the soups and noodles and the instant coffee is handy as I do not need milk powder.

Taste....... like all rations I have eaten in the past it will not win any Michelin stars but for the most part its quite good. The curried noddles mixed with Tuna is actually really nice. Coffee and soups are ok and the rice is.......well palatable;)

Edit: Thanks to Bedlam my links are fixed

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

An excellent idea, I'll have a go at that €5 24 hour ration challenge :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

well done lad lidlis great for this sort of stuff, they do noodels at 40c a pack handy stock up options same with bottled water

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Sorted for college now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I've done something similar before in Aldi. Cans of corned beef etc. for half nothing. Very good stuff.

If you are looking for something that you don't need to add water to, try the Wayayrer meals. They are pretty good and can be had for less than a fiver a meal in outdoor shops. The best thing about these is that they can be eaten hot or cold as thet don't need to be re-hydrated like mountain man meals, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Red Harvest

Hibrion wrote: »
    I've done something similar before in Aldi. Cans of corned beef etc. for half nothing. Very good stuff.

Good thing with the Corned Beef and nearly all the tinned meats in Lidl and Aldi is the use by date, because meat is not acidic the use by dates are 3-4 years in the future so Lidl tinned Corned Beef is good untill 2015 and probably much much longer (depends on your definition of good - now and in the future ;)).

An old "recipe" I'm going to try again is "Corned Beef Hash" basically tinned corned beef mixed with rehydrated dried potato and fried, anything else you have in the way or veg or seasoning can be thown in as well. Obviously use real potatoes if you have them but if your making up ration packs and trying to get as much long life store cupboard stuff as you can then dried potato mix is useful and has a reasonable energy to weight ratio.

Another Lidl item I've added to the store cupboard "grab" boxes is Marzipan, I use it as a Kendle (how I really hate the stuff) Mintcake subsitute. The Lidl 250g packets store for at least a year and have a calorie count of 4.25Kcals a gram so thats over a 1000 (K)Calories a pack. The Brand is Golden Marzipan and its on the home baking section. Other good items when your there are the dried fruit :) and condensed (evap) milk in tins :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

An old "recipe" I'm going to try again is "Corned Beef Hash" basically tinned corned beef mixed with rehydrated dried potato and fried,

I have been eating this for years, its a staple for British soldiers from my era. We could get it for breakfast, lunch or dinner and more than once all three meals in day. I could never get enough of it and I still have it at least once a month as a meal and lots when camping.

At home I fry up cold (cooked) cubed spuds and onion, add a tin of corned beef and a tin of baked beans. Add some Tabasco and Worcester sauce and you have a tasty meal.

In the field or when I want to prepare my own MRE's I just use the beef, baked beans and Worcester/tabasco sauce. Once cooked I can put the mix in a freezer or zip lock bag. Once it cools down it goes quite hard so if the bag bursts it will not leak so great to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Red Harvest

I might be from the same era ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Sorry for the revival of a zombie thread but I've been working on my own 24 hour Ration Packs. Unfortunately they exceed Krissovo's €5 budget! But I feel they are pretty good in terms of nutrional diet and a decent shelf life. I have a few of these in my car and B.O.B. I kind of designed them around everything you'd need for 24hours and they can be, for the most part eaten without the need of a stove. I've also made them with the presumption that I have the means of making fire and having something to eat/cook them off. Anyway would be really interested in seeing how you guys feel they are?

So the contents:

1x Main Meal (Chicken Tikka with Rice, Lancashire Hot Pot with Dumplings, Chilli Con Carne with Rice or Beef Bolognese with Pasta)
    1x Noodles (Black Pepper Fired Noodles)
    1x Tuna Pouch (Pepper and Lemon, Tomato and Basil or French Dressing)
    2x Breakfast Bars
    3x Cheese (waxed)
    2x Medium Snickers Bars
    1x High Energy Bar
    1x Meat Stick
    1x Hot Chocolate
    2x Coffee Sachets
    6x Sugar Sachets
    4x Salt Sachets
    4x Pepper Sachetes
    1x Isotonic Sports drink (Berry or Tropical Fruit flavour)
    1x Chewing Gum
    2x Fruit Sticks (Apple, Apricot, Banana or Pear)
    1x Matches Waxed
    1x Tissues (Bog Roll)
    1x Facial Wipes (Shower in a bag)
    3x Wet Wipes
    5x Water Purification Tabs
    1x Light My Fire Spork
    1x 3L Ziploc Bag

So folks, what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,031 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Total cost?

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    ^ Total cost?

I made up several packs at the time so bulk buying helped reduce the price, also some of the items I got were on special but they came in around €20~25 each. Pricey I know but it's all stuff I like and would eat. Main cost are the main meal pouches at €5 a pop followed by the protein bar and LMF spork at €2 each.

Each pack contains over 3000kcal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

For eating the second set is probably a better option. But its very expensive (and a bit bulky) for something that will sit in a car and hopefully will never have to be used. I'll probably put together a couple of the original ones and keep them in the car.

However before I do what's the situation with keeping tins or packs of tuna in a car where the temperature could soar well over 30c in the summer and fall below freezing in winter. Is it safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭ghogie91

H.O.T.A.S. wrote: »
    Sorry for the revival of a zombie thread but I've been working on my own 24 hour Ration Packs. Unfortunately they exceed Krissovo's €5 budget! But I feel they are pretty good in terms of nutrional diet and a decent shelf life. I have a few of these in my car and B.O.B. I kind of designed them around everything you'd need for 24hours and they can be, for the most part eaten without the need of a stove. I've also made them with the presumption that I have the means of making fire and having something to eat/cook them off. Anyway would be really interested in seeing how you guys feel they are?

So the contents:

1x Main Meal (Chicken Tikka with Rice, Lancashire Hot Pot with Dumplings, Chilli Con Carne with Rice or Beef Bolognese with Pasta)
    1x Noodles (Black Pepper Fired Noodles)
    1x Tuna Pouch (Pepper and Lemon, Tomato and Basil or French Dressing)
    2x Breakfast Bars
    3x Cheese (waxed)
    2x Medium Snickers Bars
    1x High Energy Bar
    1x Meat Stick
    1x Hot Chocolate
    2x Coffee Sachets
    6x Sugar Sachets
    4x Salt Sachets
    4x Pepper Sachetes
    1x Isotonic Sports drink (Berry or Tropical Fruit flavour)
    1x Chewing Gum
    2x Fruit Sticks (Apple, Apricot, Banana or Pear)
    1x Matches Waxed
    1x Tissues (Bog Roll)
    1x Facial Wipes (Shower in a bag)
    3x Wet Wipes
    5x Water Purification Tabs
    1x Light My Fire Spork
    1x 3L Ziploc Bag

So folks, what do you think?

Where did you pick up those water purification tabs? I need to get some I'm trying a 72hr bag :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Try here also cheapest ive found for bulk

http://evaq8.co.uk/Water-Purification.html

ShadowFox wrote: »
    Try here also cheapest ive found for bulk

http://evaq8.co.uk/Water-Purification.html

Thanks for the link, that site has some interesting stuff on it, good for first aid supplies.

I normally just pick up a pack whenever I find myself in a camping store. Ones in the pics are aquaclear 50 tabs for around a fiver. Lifesaver do some nice ones that are foil wrapped and come in a little plastic box but you do end up paying more for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Anyone got any suggestions for some sort of dry biscuits like the ones in the old compo rations for ration packs? I used to like the bland compo biscuits and they give you something to cover in jam or marmalade.

Anyone got any suggestions for some sort of dry biscuits like the ones in the old compo rations for ration packs? I used to like the bland compo biscuits and they give you something to cover in jam or marmalade.
    I was thinking of using rivita crackers or cracker bread as they also come in handy to add to an oxo or cuppa soup

Think Jacobs still do individually wrapped cream crackers. If you know anyone in catering or hospitality you might be able to get the those coffee biscuits. Anybody know where to get some hardtack? Only place I can find is Canada and I'm not paying high shipping charges for a few biscuits!

Hovis Biscuits seem to be the best I can come up with. They aren't anything like the compo biscuits I was on about but I do like them and the Wikipedia description sort of sums them up, "Hovis biscuits are sweet enough to be eaten on their own, dunked, or are plain enough to be taken as a savoury snack with a cheese topping."

2072786003_8540e90af6.jpg

Pack size is too big for 24hour rations but they tick most of my boxes (price, taste, lots of calories, multiple uses -savory and sweet, shape - oblongish so they pack better than round biscuits) and can be repacked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Breakfast biscuits, eg. http://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=275279813 have a shelf life of at least 6 months and come in packets of four inside the box. You can pick them up for a decent price most weeks in Tescos (all the brands seem to compete with each other continuously).

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭madmaxi

Water biscuits last just about forever, especially if you vacuum seal them.
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

Rice cakes, whether fresh or stale they still taste like polystyrene.
    IDShot_225x225.jpg

The humble digestive or rich tea biscuit, cheap & plentiful.

Just been looking through the shelves a Dunnes for stuff for Ration Packs and came across "Mug Shots", nothing new according to Google but still handy tasty calories for Ration Packs.

IDShot_225x225.jpg

At over 250 calories (kc) a packet two would make a reasonable main main for a ration pack, 4 different flavors. Basically a pot noodle without the pot. Poor contents into std size mug add water to within 15mm of top of mug, stir wait 5mins stir again then eat.

For anyone that's not done any serious backpacking you might not know a easy way to make up dehydrated food with very little effort.

This is only any good if you are on the move, and you start the evening meal when you start off in the morning. Take a wide necked plastic storage bottle and poor in your your dehydrated food (if you have separate items you need more than one container) then add whatever amount of water the packet says it needs and seal up the container placing it back in your pack. Fast forward to the end of the day when you stop to eat and your dehydrated meal should be fully rehydrated and just need heating.

Its a bit of a knack to know which meals work best with this process but a days walking really shakes the contents in the storage bottle together so the rehydration process is as complete as it will ever be - so at most you might need to simmer for a few mins rather the the 20mins needed for some meals.

Advertisement