Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1.8tsi engine - fuel efficiency claims vs real

Options
  • 21-11-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Drove an octavia with one of these in it, and I was blown away with the performance! Wonderful engine, with lots of power and a very elastic delivery.

Reading up on them, VW claims 40mpg on the combined cycle, which appears very optomistic. Anyone here got any experiences with them from a fuel perspective? I'd be happy with a real-world figure of 37ish...

Also, any horror stories with this engine, or are they a good long term ownership prospect?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

gyppo wrote: »
    Hi All,

Drove an octavia with one of these in it, and I was blown away with the performance! Wonderful engine, with lots of power and a very elastic delivery.

Reading up on them, VW claims 40mpg on the combined cycle, which appears very optomistic. Anyone here got any experiences with them from a fuel perspective? I'd be happy with a real-world figure of 37ish...

Also, any horror stories with this engine, or are they a good long term ownership prospect?

As long as the car doesn't have the Damn S hitty Gearbox and you can afford paying €1050 for tax (unless it's older than 08), then they're pretty decent engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Sobanek wrote: »
    As long as the car doesn't have the Damn S hitty Gearbox and you can afford paying €1050 for tax (unless it's older than 08), then they're pretty decent engines.

Carzone states 43mpg (Hand me the salt cellar) :D

Tax band "C" = €302

What S hitty gearbox are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

vectra wrote: »

He's on about DSG.

Confab wrote: »
    He's on about DSG.

I thought they were rated ass being one of the better auto boxes? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Functionally yes, reliability no. 6% failure rate the last I heard.

• Advertisement

Carzone states 43mpg (Hand me the salt cellar) :D

Tax band "C" = €302

Are you sure it's Tax Band C? Vrt.ie states otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭The Tyre Dude

I doubt you would get near 37mpg on a 1.8T unless you have a very light foot, they are a thirsty engine.

I doubt you would get near 37mpg on a 1.8T unless you have a very light foot, they are a thirsty engine.

There's a massive difference between the 1.8T and 1.8 TSI.

Are you sure it's Tax Band C? Vrt.ie states otherwise.

Thats what it says on Carzone :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

He's on about DSG.

No, 6 speed manual is the one i'd go for.

Duh, Penny just dropped with me...............Its been a long day for me:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Are these identical to the 1.8Tfsi that audi use? If so, mine does 28 mpg for mixed driving. Best ever mpg achieved when purposely driving as efficiently as possible and at low speed was 37 mpg. This would not be possible to achieve from day to day though. Realistically under 30 mpg.

Oh and my audi A5 with this engine is in band D with 169g co2. €450 tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

mickdw wrote: »
    Are these identical to the 1.8Tfsi that audi use? If so, mine does 28 mpg for mixed driving. Best ever mpg achieved when purposely driving as efficiently as possible and at low speed was 37 mpg. This would not be possible to achieve from day to day though. Realistically under 30 mpg.

Same 160 brake unit afaik.

EPM wrote: »
    Same 160 brake unit afaik.

Mine is rated as 170 bhp. The A5 was always listed as 170 and it is always 160 bhp on the A4. Dont know if there is any difference in tune levels though tbh

Mine is rated as 170 bhp. The A5 was always listed as 170 and it is always 160 bhp on the A4. Dont know if there is any difference in tune levels though tbh

Probably emission tweaks more than anything.

There was alot of talk when the Tfsi engine was released that it was supposed to be much more efficient than the old 1.8T. I had a 1.8T 180 bhp quattro TT before my current car and this one is only very marginally more efficient and has less power. Doesnt seem to be any great strides made there.

There was alot of talk when the Tfsi engine was released that it was supposed to be much more efficient than the old 1.8T. I had a 1.8T 180 bhp quattro TT before my current car and this one is only very marginally more efficient and has less power. Doesnt seem to be any great strides made there.

To be honest I can't see any benefit over the 2 litre. Possibly less stress than the 1.4 160 in bigger cars but the difference in running costs will be minimal.

To be honest I can't see any benefit over the 2 litre. Possibly less stress than the 1.4 160 in bigger cars but the difference in running costs will be minimal.

There was no 2.0 when I was buying. 2.0 is a better option without doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There was a 120bhp version of the 1.8 TSi engine too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

38/39mpg is the best I can manage with my 1.8T, that's a mixture of mainly out of town 80kph road with a little urban driving and taking it handy. 30mpg or thereabouts would probably be the norm with motorway 120kph driving and giving it a bit more welly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭obi604

There's a massive difference between the 1.8T and 1.8 TSI.

How do you mean exactly ?

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »
    How do you mean exactly ?

They are different engines.

They are different engines.

in what way though , which one is more powerful ?

They are completely different engines and from your other thread the 1.8t is not applicable to a Mark 2 Octavia.

The 1.8tsi Octavia is a more modern unit producing 160bhp. There was one on done deal recently.

Functionally yes, reliability no. 6% failure rate the last I heard.

Are the DSG gearboxes on these really that bad ? They are tempting with lower VRT and tax

Advertisement