Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favorite wine openers

Options
  • 21-11-2011 2:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Which wine opener have you found to be the best, and where did you purchase it?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

only "Waiter's friend" aka "Sommelier Knife" openers can be taken seriously. The hinged ones are best. I didn't buy mine as such because I actually sell them. Those butterlfy things with a spiral blade are terrible yokes, they carve the cork up rather than simply grip it.

From wiki
    Sommelier knife

A sommelier knife, waiter's friend or wine key is a corkscrew in a folding body similar to a pocket knife. It was conceived by the German Karl Wienke in 1882 and patented in Germany, England, and America.[1]

An arm extends to brace against the lip of the bottle for leverage when removing the cork. Some sommelier knives have two steps on the lever, and often also a bottle opener. A small hinged knife blade is housed in the handle end for removing the foil wrapping the neck of many wine bottles.

waiters-friend-corkscrew-wine-opener-sommelier-knife-917.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

1309969645-49.jpg

I have this bad boy... It used to be good but got all blunted so now I'm back with the above waiter's friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,943 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    only "Waiter's friend" aka "Sommelier Knife" openers can be taken seriously.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

waiters friend +2

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭MattKane

Waiter's friend is the best and most reliable, hands down. Plus they last forever. We give free ones out to first time web customers and sell them in the shop, but you can get them in plenty of places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

rby-diet-tips-wine-cork-mouth-de-99211914.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Advertisement