Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Rabbits

Options
  • 20-11-2011 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭

My girlfriend has relocated to Ireland and wants to bring over her house rabbits, both are cashmere lops and are about 15 months old. The relocation will involve us driving from Herts to Wales, 4 hour ferry crossing and a 2 hour car journey.

We know that rabbits can be easily stressed so we are worried that this journey might be too much for them? The rabbits can be rehomed with their original breeder but neither of us really want to leave them behind. We will be able to stop regularly on the journey to feed them, stroke them etc. Should we not bring them? Very torn :( Went to a vet in Ireland and our local vet in Herts. and both said 'just rehome them'. Both are calm, relaxed buns. Any advice?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Bunnies will travel no problem. They won't be delighted about it but they will be fine. I have minded rabbits for years, and on many occasions have minded rabbits before or after people relocate to and from the UK, or till they find suitable accommodation.

Once they have suitable carry boxes and have food and water, they will settle down.

So bring them!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

Thanks Groom! We'd be devastated to leave them behind really. We have our younger rabbit here at the moment and really want to get the other two over as well. It's hard to judge them, they were odd for a week when I accidently put the litter tray back on the wrong side of the room :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Yeh they will be fine.

Few important things to do first though for their comfort and saftey.

Ensure they are up to date with VHD and Myxo vaccinations etc. and all are well and healthy to travel.

Put them in individual carriers if they don't get on, if they do get on well then it's less stressful if they can snuggle up. Ensure the carrier(s) are large enough to accomodate them. Use thick layers of newspaper and hay if you have a way of changing their bedding along the way, if not use a layer of newspaper, then a sheet of vet bed then more newspaper and lots of hay.

Don't put a water bottle in as it will just leak and wet the bedding, instead keep a bag of well washed carrots and other veggies that you can sprinkle water on and anytime you stop for a rest you can see if they want to drink from the bottle.

Ensure the carriers are plastic, obviously, and have a secure metal door.
    You can rub a little lavender oil on the roof of it on the inside can help relax them.

Thanks Sigma, we're going to put them in the travel carrier together as they are pair bonded and sleep cuddled up normally. Thanks for the travel tips, going to have a run through of setting the carrier up tonight so hopefully we can do the crossing tomorrow. Must get some lavender oil :)

Good luck Banzai and safe trip.

Let us know how it goes!

Great advice given above re the travel set up!

• Advertisement

Thanks Groom. Just back this morning and it went smoothly enough. The car journey was a doddle. We managed to get the carrier strapped firmly in the back seat so it didn't move too much and they were fairly settled. On the ferry we could either leave them in the car in the carrier once we let someone inspect it, leave the carrier in the luggage room or (because it was very quiet I would imagine) bring it with us to where we were going to sit down. For convenience we brought them with us but didn't take them out. Just fed them via the hatch and gave them watered carrots/apples.

There was a few dogs in crates in the luggage room and tbh in future if we needed I'd have no problem leaving them in there. Thankfully my gf had sorted out the arrangements for their transport etc into the country which I didn't even think about:o

All in all it went well barring a few strops. Now the task of introducing them to their new baby :eek: Thanks for all the help.

Ah that is great news! They are more hardy than people think!

PM me if you ever need them boarded and the best of luck with them.

Advertisement