Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how much tax will i pay? etc.

Options
  • 20-11-2011 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

hi everyone i got a job last week in dunnes it's a xmas contract and last week and this week I had around 40 hours work, what's the story with tax how much tax will i pay and do i get any of it back? I'm 19 and this is my first job.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭relax carry on

As this is your first job, you are not registered for taxation purposes with Revenue. You need to complete a form 12A and forward this to Revenue. Your employer should have done this on your first day.

Until you register your employment with Revenue you should be emergency taxed by your employer. This links below will assist you. Once all is sorted unless you are going to earn over €16500 by the end of this year, you will not be paying any PAYE.
    Good luck.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/faqs/starting-work-tax.html

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/faqs/how-do-i-work-out-my-tax.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 lovesir

thanks for your help does that mean that when everything is sorted ( i just sent the 12a form today) that i won't even be taxed at 20 per cent so basically i won't be paying any tax?

So long as you have had no other taxable source of income this year, you will have built up unused tax credits. As a single PAYE employee you have a single tax credit of €1650 and a PAYE tax credit of €1650. Add both together to get €3300 and then multiply by 5 which gives you a tax free income of €16500 for 2011.

You may be charged the USC and PRSI.

sorry one more question there is a section on the 12a form where you tick what kind of tax credits you are applying for ( single person' married person etc. ) my employer told me to skip that bit and not tick any does that mean i will not have any tax credits tho?

You get the single and paye credit automatically so it doesn't matter if you tick the boxes or not. No harm though to follow the instructions on the form.

• Advertisement

Thank you for that i finally think i understand it :)

Advertisement