Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McLaren to ditch Mercedes for Honda?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Would an engine change make much of a difference?

I thought the way the rules are now that all the engines have nearly the same power outputs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Also it'll only be when the new engines come in...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Just one thing about this. McLaren are not going to ditch Merc, its more likely to be the other way around. With a factory team Merc cant be seen as being beaten by a "customer" squad, especially one that is now also a supercar manufacturer.
    Their relationship turned sour a few years ago and they are only still together because of their long term contracts. McLaren are clearly looking for a new partner and Honda would be a very interesting proposition. Honda saw the cost of owning a team and for a much more cost effective solution they can look to get back into the sport as an engine entity and McLaren would surely be a very good partnership for both parties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

frostie500 wrote: »
    Just one thing about this. McLaren are not going to ditch Merc, its more likely to be the other way around. With a factory team Merc cant be seen as being beaten by a "customer" squad, especially one that is now also a supercar manufacturer.
    Their relationship turned sour a few years ago and they are only still together because of their long term contracts. McLaren are clearly looking for a new partner and Honda would be a very interesting proposition. Honda saw the cost of owning a team and for a much more cost effective solution they can look to get back into the sport as an engine entity and McLaren would surely be a very good partnership for both parties

Am I also right in thinking that in and out of F1 that they would have far more experience with engines within or close to the 2014 regs? Honda seem to have been doing more innovating and tinkering over the last few decades engine-wise while Mercedes have stuck to fairly well-proven engine types.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

With new engine rules Honda have to be one of the companies that would be able to come out with a winning engine. Would be good move for McLaren I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

With any luck if it turns out to be true, Honda will cop the feck on and develop a proper NSX replacement with no foolish mention of electric motors or hybrid crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

matty55 wrote: »

Honda Sucked BIG TIME last time they cameback, people view Honda with Rose tinted Glasses, they were the best, they ain't any more!

They have along way to go before they can lick the boots of Ferrari, McLaren or Red Bull or Engine manufacturer, Ferrari, Renault or Mercedes!

You only as good as your last preformance and for them it was "They Sucked"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Interesting article from James Allen on this.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2011/11/is-honda-really-up-for-f1-return-with-mclaren/

Personally I wouldn't mind Honda being re-united with McLaren, but only if they bring a decent engine this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭overshoot

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Honda Sucked BIG TIME last time they cameback, people view Honda with Rose tinted Glasses, they were the best, they ain't any more!

They have along way to go before they can lick the boots of Ferrari, McLaren or Red Bull or Engine manufacturer, Ferrari, Renault or Mercedes!

You only as good as your last preformance and for them it was "They Sucked"
    ah come on that brawn gp car was all honda, if they didnt pull out it would have been a very different story regards their last performance... it took them a long time to get a car to that level and foolishly pulled the plug when they got there but they did reach the top

• Registered Users Posts: 11,817 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

G-Money wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't mind Honda being re-united with McLaren, but only if they bring a decent engine this time!

Well, if Honda can build V6's like they did in the 80's, I think the partnership would no doubt be very successfull.

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    ah come on that brawn gp car was all honda, if they didnt pull out it would have been a very different story regards their last performance... it took them a long time to get a car to that level and foolishly pulled the plug when they got there but they did reach the top

And how does the history books record it, which is the only thing that matters? Plus powered by Merc, no relevance to Honda at all!

How many years did it take them to reach the dizzying heights of nowhere.... 9th in 08 HA!

That Brawn GP car was simply that BRAWN! The Genius that was....

As a Jordan fan I'm sure you can gather where I'm coming from! No sympathy for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭overshoot

**** forgot it was merc powered, oops. still though it was lightyears ahead of the rest, including the mcLaren Merc. It was brawn that the oversaw it, but it was still designed and built under honda money.
    im not really a fan of them either, but i still reckon they deserve credit for that car

overshoot wrote: »
    **** forgot it was merc powered, oops. still though it was lightyears ahead of the rest, including the mcLaren Merc. It was brawn that the oversaw it, but it was still designed and built under honda money.
    im not really a fan of them either, but i still reckon they deserve credit for that car

I dont know about that, if they Knew the car was really that good, I'm 100% positive it would have competed as a full works Honda team, and bring Glory and Honour to Japan! Trust me on that one, little greedy back stabbing Bast****!!!!

Advertisement