Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

2010 model Focus engine noise question

Options
  • 20-11-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭

got a 2010 model focus earlier in the year around May,its a new car, 11 reg but 2010 model gotten in the scrappage sheme. its a 1.6 tdci engine, the last couple of weeks its developed a slight ticking or tapping noise, either when idle or going up through the gear changes, doesnt seem to happen in any particular circumstances, can be in the middle of a long journey or right away when the engine starts. would it be the oil? or is just a by product of a diesel engine? the engine has always sounded "diesely" which is fine, but this is a more audible ticking noise when revving it. any idea? or should I drop it into the dealer to have it looked at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Well the most obvious first thing to check is the oil level....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Well the most obvious first thing to check is the oil level....

did that, looks fine, this is my first new car, how often should the oil be checked in a new engine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

krudler wrote: »
    did that, looks fine, this is my first new car, how often should the oil be checked in a new engine?

Diesel engines, in general, use more oil the petrols. Most people with a mind for correct vehicle maintenance would be checking their oil every week in some cases depending on mileage.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Snookered

Hi Krudler,

Just wondering did you find out any more on this issue?

I have the same 2010 model 1.6tdci and almost similar issue
    Car is fine when idle, but get a loud humming noise when accelerating above 70kph and when accelerating to 90-100-120kph the noise gets louder
    so gets quite loud when driving on motorways,
    oil levels fine, all filters only replaced a few months ago

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

If it's 2011, then it's under warranty so take it back to your Ford garage and let them sort it out instead of worrying about it yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Snookered

no its a 2010 reg, buts its going into Ford next week to get checked
    Was just curious to see what may have been the cause?

After all the reading around on issues like this it points to one of these things.... carbon buildup on EGR, exhaust issue, belt rubbing
    Because other than that the car is running fine and no drop in performance, no fast burning of oil or drop in fuel efficiency etc..

will post back once I find out what the story is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

@snookered, I was actually think of the OP's 1st post when I was on about the warranty and bringing it back but still, is there not a 2 year warranty with those fords? So you would be covered too.

Thanks in advance for coming back when you get an outcome. I have actually heard these issues before but didn't get word of the actual reason.

Advertisement