Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website needs closing or redirecting.

Options
  • 20-11-2011 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭

Hi folks I hope you can help me here. I am involved in a local GAA club and the chairman has asked me to try and get the website closed or redirected to another website. Unfortunately the people who update the website have long since left the club so it hasn't been updated for about 4 years and there is also a message board on it that needs to be closed. We have no passwords so any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

How is the hosting being paid if nobody has touched it in 4 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

Adam wrote: »
    How is the hosting being paid if nobody has touched it in 4 years?
    Thanks. I have no idea any other questions I can ask that would help identify the people involved in setting it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

try doing a whois lookup on the site: http://www.whoislookup.ie/
    It might give you a few clues as to who is hosting the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

You could look up the website on www.whois.net or if its an .ie address at http://www.domainregistry.ie/ and see if any original registration details are available (won't give you passwords obviously), then contact either the hosting or domain provider listed.

beaten to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭patmac

I know I must sound stupid but I can't trace it ,this is the only page I have :
    http://homepage.eircom.net/~padraigpearses/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Ah, its not on a domain so you won't find whois information there.

It is on an eircom.net web space (which could belong to anyone) so you will need to contact whoever owns that space. You could try eircom but unlikely that they would divulge account owner information to you.

Why not just forget about that web site as its so old and not hosted on a domain of its own and just set up one from scratch?

Get the club to buy a domain for $10 or less and have tumblr, or wordpress front it for you at no cost and start out afresh. I can't imagine the old web site being of any importance given the length of time that has gone by with no activity.

One last option in terms of eircom if you really want to start doing something with that web site. The email address given in the contact is padraigpearses@eircom.net and a gmail account, so perhaps eircom would accept the clubs bonafides and unlock it or reset the password for you.

Advertisement