Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Hi tech project, I should have done years ago

Options
  • 20-11-2011 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭

I have a box of old cassette tapes with family recordings, bands etc. About a hundred. So I downloaded a program called audacity and have spent the past week copying them as MP3s so all those tapes can now he trun, and I cna have everyone of them on one single DVD. I used an old cassette player to play them directly on to the 'puter.
    Almost done now.
    Cheers.
    Old Tom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

enfield wrote: »
    I have a box of old cassette tapes with family recordings, bands etc. About a hundred. So I downloaded a program called audacity and have spent the past week copying them as MP3s so all those tapes can now he trun, and I cna have everyone of them on one single DVD. I used an old cassette player to play them directly on to the 'puter.
    Almost done now.
    Cheers.
    Old Tom.

Have used Audacity in the past for bits and pieces...it's very good for a free software and very handy for converting WAV's to MP3's which helps when putting presentations together

....there's one concert I would love to have from the 80's that I taped from the radio...Freddie White in Concert...It was recorded as part of Dave Fannings "In Concert" series ....I played that cassette to death...literally...would love to hear that concert again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

enfield wrote: »
    Almost done now.
    Cheers.
    Old Tom.

I copied all my old LPs and 45s to my computer also using Audacity and saved as MP3s. I got fed up lugging the old record player around with me from country to country and thought I better make the copies before the thing packed up completely.
    Great to have them at a touch of a button now (incidentally, I still have them on the computer).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Don't forget a backup strategy! Hard disks fail, burned DVDRs don't last forever, MP3 players get lost/broken, houses burn down etc. Some audio could be as precious to you as photos/videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Don't forget a backup strategy! Hard disks fail, burned DVDRs don't last forever, MP3 players get lost/broken, houses burn down etc. Some audio could be as precious to you as photos/videos.

And then they go and invent a new system which none of the above will work on and ya have to start again!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Indeed I still have an 8 track and a reel to reel tape deck. Now all I need is some kind generous soul to GIVE me a Jenson Interceptor. (That's a hint to OG by the way)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

bonzodog2 wrote: »

Yes, I borrowed someone's audio collection which they had on external drive and 1/3 of it managed to disappear in the copying. They weren't best pleased. Bloody 1's and 0's.

Advertisement