Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A job at last

Options
  • 20-11-2011 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

After almost 3 years unemployed I have finally secured a job. I have been around the mill from illness benefit to lone parents to a BTWEA scheme. If it could happen with your payment it happened to me lol. There is a lot of myths out there regarding payments.It doesnt pay a huge amount but its more than I get on welfare. Now if I was getting all these myths of payments that supposidly everyone on welfare gets I would never have considered going back to work ( like God almighty who makes up these stories in the papers ).I feel like a new person - I also feel this is the greatest shove I have gotten to get off welfare payments & start making a positive future for me & the kids. I received a call out of the blue from an old employer looking for some help which resulted in an offer which i would never have expected.....So good luck everyone - there are guardian angels out there & there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Congratulations & well done. Remember you can still hold on to all the secondary benefits that you had while on welfare, i.e. medical card etc. Best of luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

The medical cards all came in other day renewed for 3 years which I thought was bizarre. They lost my BTWEA paperwork so was about to have to reapply to it all. From what I am aware once I get my start date I just need to contact welfare & get them to stop my benefits.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

Congrats on the job. It must have been hard to keep going but you did so good luck with your new job

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

lucy2010 wrote: »
    The medical cards all came in other day renewed for 3 years which I thought was bizarre. They lost my BTWEA paperwork so was about to have to reapply to it all. From what I am aware once I get my start date I just need to contact welfare & get them to stop my benefits.

Yea, thats all you need to do. If you have Med Card for next 3 yrs, hold on to them for dear life. As you well know a lot can change in that time.As you have said, your new job will pay more than Welfare, but in all probability you will still be inside the guidelines for a Med Card. What you also need to do is get a Tax Free Allowance Certificate from your nearest Revenue Office, otherwise you will be taxed on an emergency basis, which is very severe.

Advertisement