Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a day off sick - no cover arranged

Options
  • 20-11-2011 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

Wonder if someone could give me some advice on where I stand..

I need to take tonight off work due to being awake with bad toothache for over 24hrs (as of now) and a 9 hr shift ahead to start in just over 5hrs time. (6pm-3am)
    I called to arrange cover with 2 other members of staff and 1 person who has been used as relief before (as recently as last week)
    None of the three of them can help me out.
    I rang my boss as a last resort and was told quite bluntly there was no cover and I may do the shift. It wasn't outright said but I was given the impression I'd be in trouble if I didn't. I can't afford to lose the job.
    Incidentally, I've only missed ONE shift before due to sickness in approx 3 years.
    Where do I stand? Could they discipline me? What if I'd fallen sick in another way or broken a bone? Surely not fit for work is just that, irrespective of the circumstances?

I'd really appreciate a couple of quick replies.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you're sick then you're sick, finding cover is not your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

If you're sick then you're sick, finding cover is not your job.

Well that's how I would see it too.
    I'm paid to do a job and the duties it entails do not include anything to do with the roster. I've already done MORE than my requirement by trying to arrange in. Unfortunately I wasn't successful but that doesn't automatically make me well again.

I'd ring the boss again and tell him in no uncertain terms, that you cannot come in today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Seems like they're being just a little unfair there to say the least, especially given how you've only missed one shift in 3 years! Especially given how some jobs routinely have higher Monday and Friday "sick" levels. Your boss should realise how lucky he is and treat you accordingly!

IMO, your only duty is to inform them sufficiently well in advance so that they've a chance of organising cover. You've gone beyond the call of duty in ringing colleagues. FFS, you're going to get sick sooner or later, and in your case it's genuine.

Can you argue the fact that you've been deprived of sleep on health and safety grounds? If you're driving a HGV, operating dangerous machinery or even if you've a long commute, you've an extra ace in your hand.

Just so as the boss is in no doubt, would it make sense to try and get a doctor's cert? Just in case there's any hassle?

Advertisement