Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PhD Progression

Options
  • 20-11-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I completed an undergrad degree last year and am currently working. However, lately I have been considering going back to education to get a higher qualification (in a slightly different field).

I would love to do a PhD as I really enjoy research and feel quite passionate about the subject I wish to pursue. However, while I have heard of others who have been offered places on a research team leading to a PhD qualification, I know I would find this quite difficult.

So, just a few questions for those who may be able to help me out:
    • Should I complete a Masters before even considering contacting people in relation to a PhD?
    • Would having a first class Masters make it likely that I would receive funding for my PhD?
    • If there are any of you who have been in a similar position, could you give me any advice or info on how you went about obtaining your PhD.
    Sorry for the obvious naivety but I would really appreciate some help on this, and this forum has always been a source of good info.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Nitochris

danlen wrote: »
    Hi all,

I completed an undergrad degree last year and am currently working. However, lately I have been considering going back to education to get a higher qualification (in a slightly different field).

I would love to do a PhD as I really enjoy research and feel quite passionate about the subject I wish to pursue. However, while I have heard of others who have been offered places on a research team leading to a PhD qualification, I know I would find this quite difficult.

So, just a few questions for those who may be able to help me out:
    • Should I complete a Masters before even considering contacting people in relation to a PhD?
    • Would having a first class Masters make it likely that I would receive funding for my PhD?
    • If there are any of you who have been in a similar position, could you give me any advice or info on how you went about obtaining your PhD.
    Sorry for the obvious naivety but I would really appreciate some help on this, and this forum has always been a source of good info.

Thanks guys.

1) I did - but I know a number of those who didn't, personally doing an MA allowed me to develop the skills which I need to do my PhD.
    2) It didn't help me
    3) Make sure you allow yourself the time to write the damn thing, if you get funding in theory you have this (but this may mean neglecting your own professional development - so you may want to teach during your PhD even if funded), if unfunded you may need a year in which you do nothing but thesis work to do this (which means building up a level of cash which you feel will allow this).

EDIT: on your pro development if you get an opportunity take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

Thanks for the reply.

Do you feel personally that a PhD should be pursued for the love of the research itself rather than future employment? The only thing that has been putting me off is people telling me that PhD graduates are finding it difficult to gain employment in their chosen field. Could you shed any light on this from your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Should I complete a Masters before even considering contacting people in relation to a PhD?
    No – contact people now indicating your interest.
    Would having a first class Masters make it likely that I would receive funding for my PhD?
    Very unlikely. PhD proposals are funded based (for the most part) on the strength of the proposal itself and the track record of the supervisor. And remember, you can apply for positions for which funding has already been secured.
    If there are any of you who have been in a similar position, could you give me any advice or info on how you went about obtaining your PhD.
    Keep an eye on sites such as www.jobs.ac.uk for advertised positions, but also contact individuals you feel you might be able to work with. They may have funding for a project, they may be looking for a PhD applicant but you haven’t seen the ad, or they may be willing to draft a new proposal with you and submit it for funding.
    Do you feel personally that a PhD should be pursued for the love of the research itself rather than future employment?
    Without question. If you’re thinking of doing a PhD for any other reason than developing your strong interest in research, then don’t do it.
    The only thing that has been putting me off is people telling me that PhD graduates are finding it difficult to gain employment in their chosen field.
    That really depends on what is meant by “chosen field”. There are always going to be certain areas that are hot topics and are going to receive more funding than others. For example, at the moment, biotechnology is big and PhD’s in this area are likely to obtain positions post-graduating without too much difficulty, whereas someone who does a PhD on the life and times of James Blunt is probably going to find it a little tougher. But remember, there’s no reason why you can’t diversify a little after your PhD – researchers rarely stick rigidly to one area for their entire careers. Finding a niche is a sure way to attract attention from funding bodies. Oh and be prepared to travel. Even if you only widen your net as far as the UK, you will be presented with far, far more opportunities. That’s not to say there isn’t some top class research taking place in Ireland – there is. But it’s a small country and there’s only so much you can do there.

Advertisement