Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any info on Mary I's (Psych & Ed) primary?

Options
  • 20-11-2011 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any info on this new course. I see the points are 540 eeek! Is it substantially better than the regular B Ed and following then with a M Ed Educational Psychology?

How do they assess the Gaeltacht entrants for Gaeilge 'spoken in the home'? Are all the family assessed.

Is there bonus marks for honours Maths?

Much appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

I'm doing the course...

I'll preface all of what I say with this: I would not be surprised if the course does not run next year (Sept 2012). The college is currently overhauling the B.Ed programme, and I think it is very likely that they will not be able to accommodate the B.Ed Psych within this. In order to be an acceptable teaching programme (judged by the Teaching Council), the B.Ed Psych will require very little time being dedicated to non- teaching subjects. Less than 20% I think. But if that happens, there would be very little psychology - which means it would not fulfill the Psychological Society of Ireland requirements to be an acceptable undergrad psychology course. So tbh I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if the course was run next year.

I think you need to research educational psychology a little more. The B.Ed Psych course does not qualify you as an Ed Psych. It qualifies you as a primary teacher, who also holds a degree in psychology. The former allows you to teach after the degree, the latter allows you to go on to postgrad study in the area of psychology. A graduate of the B.Ed programme cannot go on to do Educational Psychology without having attained an undergraduate degree in psychology also (or a H Dip in psychology). You can't directly compare a B.Ed Psych to a B.Ed with an MA in Ed Psych because the pathways into the profession aren't that simple. In sum:

B.Ed Psych (4 years currently) --> Experience (to gain entry into MA/PhD) --> MA/ PhD in Educational Psychology (2/3 years) --> Qualified Ed Psych

B.Ed (4 years from next year)--> Experience --> H Dip in Psychology (two years) --> MA/PhD in Educational Psychology --> Qualified Ed Psych

I think that if you look up the prospectus it will explain the Gaeltacht entry question you have. I'd say its based on whether you get a Gaeltacht grant (is there such a thing?) or not.

I'd say that there will be bonus points for honours Maths from next year on.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭madison2011

Thank you for taking the time to reply in detail. It would be such a shame to lose this course. From what you are saying I think the lack of recognition from the PSI would blow it out of the water. The DOE might regret it when the inevitable rise in learning problems with increased class sizes occurs.
    The honours maths will change everything for future hopefuls.

I hope the college manage to pull it out of the bag for this course.

Best of luck with your studies.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

Hi madison,

It's the Students' Union here in Mary I.

Just to let you know that the college have confirmed with us that the BEd and Psychology will be going ahead in 2012 but its content and structure may or may not be different to its current form.

MISU

Radically different... I'll be interested to see how it works, but I'm glad to see it's going ahead!

I heard mention that the psychology content will be taught during the summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭RibenaHead

dambarude wrote: »
    I heard mention that the psychology content will be taught during the summer...

That's mad! I can't imagine how the whole course would be done otherwise if the education section is going to be so packed!

• Advertisement

RibenaHead wrote: »
    That's mad! I can't imagine how the whole course would be done otherwise if the education section is going to be so packed!

It's actually not going to be the case now. All content will be done during semester. It's pretty packed though, and some of the education content is being shaved off to help fit the psych modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 stakerwallace

It's actually not going to be the case now. All content will be done during semester. It's pretty packed though, and some of the education content is being shaved off to help fit the psych modules.

Considerable:( parts of the course have been shifted to summer schools. please check.

Considerable:( parts of the course have been shifted to summer schools. please check.

Yes, I think the summer schools were touted, then withdrawn, but have been put back on the table again.

Yes, I think the summer schools were touted, then withdrawn, but have been put back on the table again.

And ratified the other day? Not attractive prospect for students?

And ratified the other day? Not attractive prospect for students?

I don't know anything about ratification, but obviously you've heard something about it, so it probably went ahead.

And website STILL gives no information on it for prospective students. That's an absolute disaster, and I really feel sorry for any incoming B.Ed Psychs who are unaware of it and the numerous other changes that have come about.

• Advertisement

I don't know anything about ratification, but obviously you've heard something about it, so it probably went ahead.

And website STILL gives no information on it for prospective students. That's an absolute disaster, and I really feel sorry for any incoming B.Ed Psychs who are unaware of it and the numerous other changes that have come about.

Final step to jump yet at Bord Acaduil but that should ratify two summer schools for, I think, for 4 modules in total.

Final step to jump yet at Bord Acaduil but that should ratify two summer schools for, I think, for 4 modules in total.

You're obviously very well connected stakerwallace:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 superchic

The college is currently overhauling the B.Ed programme, and I think it is very likely that they will not be able to accommodate the B.Ed Psych within this. In order to be an acceptable teaching programme (judged by the Teaching Council), the B.Ed Psych will require very little time being dedicated to non- teaching subjects. Less than 20% I think. But if that happens, there would be very little psychology - which means it would not fulfill the Psychological Society of Ireland requirements to be an acceptable undergrad psychology course.

Does anyone know if this has been sorted out really? I’m thinking of switching from the normal BEd to the BEd with Psychology because their both 4 years long but u get an extra qualification with the Psychology as well. I checked out the details on the website this morning and it doesn’t seem like their guaranteeing the qualification in Psychology. :(

Website says 'This programme leads to both an academic and professional qualification, accredited by the University of Limerick and recognised by the Teaching Council.'

I know it says the old course was accredited and their gonna apply for the Psychology accreditation for the new course but does anyone know if there’s enough Psychology in it? :confused: I guess I’m thinking if it’s not going to get accredited then I may as well stick with the normal BEd :D

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

superchic wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this has been sorted out really? I’m thinking of switching from the normal BEd to the BEd with Psychology because their both 4 years long but u get an extra qualification with the Psychology as well. I checked out the details on the website this morning and it doesn’t seem like their guaranteeing the qualification in Psychology. :(

I know it says the old course was accredited and their gonna apply for the Psychology accreditation for the new course but does anyone know if there’s enough Psychology in it? :confused: I guess I’m thinking if it’s not going to get accredited then I may as well stick with the normal BEd :D

Hey superchic! I certainly wouldn't worry about whether or not there's enough psychology within the revised course. It says that the "full compliment of Psychology modules has been maintained within this programme and BEd in Education and Psychology students study psychology alongside their peers on the BA in Psychology programme."

This means that you will be doing the same psychology modules which myself and everyone else in the B.Ed & Psychology course are currently studying and have studied previously. All of the psychology modules are the same as the current programme (with new entrants studying a particular module in first year rather than previously starting it in second year).

I'm pretty confident that if you're studying the same psychology modules as everyone who has done the course previously you will have a qualification in Psychology as well! Regarding accreditation by the PSI, this is really a matters of ensuring that an appropriate number of psychology modules are covered - and since they approved the current programme, they will more than approve the revised version.

To cut a long story short, if you complete the B.Ed & Psychology programme, you will have a qualification in Primary Education and a qualification in Psychology!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 superchic

Thanks Icarus wings! :) I thought the amount of psychology was important from what was said before. It looks like there's way more education than psychology classes from the website so I guess if the amount was important there's no way it'd be accredited! That makes sense about studying 'alongside peers on the BA in Psychology programme'. Bet they're not going to be happy about the summer schools either! Seeing as the psychology qualification is a definite now I just have to decide if the summer schools are a deal breaker for me :P if I even get the points of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

superchic wrote: »
    That makes sense about studying 'alongside peers on the BA in Psychology programme'. Bet they're not going to be happy about the summer schools either!

Just had a closer look at your post there, superchic. Judging from the information on the MIC website, there will be no summer schools for BAs (including those studying Psychology). As far as I'm aware, there will be no changes to the Liberal Arts programme in Mary I. Like the current programme, they have the same number of off-campus placements as always. Students of BA in Psychology will be doing the same Psychology modules as B.Ed & Psychs and these are (mostly) the same modules which are currently being studied.

I suspect that the summer schools will be more related to the Education side of the B.Ed & Psychology programme (to coincide with changes in the B.Ed programme). If someone could clarify this issue regarding changes (or not) in the BA programme, it would be much appreciated.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep MISU Office

The BAs won't be doing summer schools. After first year B Ed & Psychology students have to do a Social Psychology module. The BAs do this module in term time.

This place has turned into the B.Ed Psych hotline :D

Advertisement