Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What size birthing ball??

Options
  • 19-11-2011 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hello I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to what size birthing ball/exercise ball I'd need to get? I'm 5 2 so was told to get a 65cm ball but sat on a regular exercise ball which was 75cm in a sports store and it seemed to be a good fit. Although it may not have been inflated fully as my hips were at the same height as my knees (hips should be 10cm over the knees).
    I am not sure if I am correct in thinking that because the exercise balls are less sturdy than a birthing ball you'd need to buy an exercise ball in a bigger size than you would the birthing ball!?

Has anyone any advice on this? (am I looking into it way too much!:confused:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Yeah, what you are saying makes sence to me and matches what the midwives said to me.
    When I was in labour last time they gave me a tiny ball int he labour room, I asked for a bigger (75cm, I'm 5' 10") one but they said a lower one would help the head decend.

After physio last time I was advised to buy a 75cm diameter ball so my thighs were level with my hips before I stated bouncing.

Some of the balls in the sports shop were measured by diameter and son=me by circumference, so make sure you read the measurements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Fee123

Thanks for that :) I'll get the bigger size in the sports version don't want to wait on delivery for an actual birthing ball off the net!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 smg2013

I just got a regular one from argos. Around e6.99. Good value for the short time your going to use it.

Advertisement