Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glen of the Downs woods

Options
  • 19-11-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I was wondering what peoples opinions are on Glen of the Downs woods is.
    Mostly from an access point i think the proximity to the N11 is quiet dangerous.
    Having seen quiet a few accidents entering and exiting is very dangerous.
    Should the council/coillte make it easier and safer to go in and out.
    I would definitley go a lot more if that issue was sorted.
    Your opinions would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

back around a decade ago when th Glen o'Downs was being made into a 2 lane they had the oppertunity to put in place something but they werent clever enough to do so,

A small on/off way could have been possible however they chose not to even have a hard shoulder, I know a lot of british hippies were against the road but I think there was enough room on the southbound side to do a lot better job (only 15feet would have done the trick.

It was an oppertunity lost unfortunately.

Now the woods carpark is largely used for dogging..... (so I heard! :pac: )

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

That was definitely a missed opportunity it would a more used resource now.
    Not just for nocturnal activities

• Registered Users Posts: 21,438 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A small on/off way could have been possible however they chose not to even have a hard shoulder
    :confused: But there is a hard shoulder, albeit quite a narrow one. You wouldn't stand a hope in hell of pulling in to the car park, or back out of it, there if there wasn't one. It's far from ideal though, I grant you.

See http://g.co/maps/96ew8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

well yes there is a hard shoulder, but its not adequate width and an emergency vehicle could not fit through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

You can get in via the back, bellview. I always go that way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

It's a nature reserve people, so the less land they used for roads and slip roads the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭mathproblem

yeah they would've had to take more trees for easier access and the protesters were fighting to save as many trees as possible

If the speed limit(80 i think?) was stuck to it might be a little safer, i'm a bit guilty in that regard myself too if i'm honest. Only more speed checks in the area would make people take it more seriously i suppose. When it stays dual carraigeway all the way from m50/m11 and beyond then drivers are likely to just see it as motorway-lite.

Always stop in there for a rest if i'm on the bicycle, good to get away from the fast moving traffic if only for a breather.

There's a small stream that runs very close to the side of the road by the entrance so getting that extra bit of road width to widen the hard shoulder would be difficult anyway, regardless of any other considerations.

Regarding the speed limit, it's 100km/h all through there. When that section was first opened, there was an 80km/h limit that started near the garden centre, and it returned to 100km/h just as it opened up by the Delgany turn off (where the Gardai loved to hide and catch people) but that was changed a couple of years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

but that was changed a couple of years ago now.

Erm .............Oh no it wasn't!!

Erm .............Oh no it wasn't!!
    I've just been through there (and back) literally an hour ago ... you're partially right in as much as there is still an 80km/h limit from the garden centre, to just around the bend, but it's 100km/h thereafter (previously it didn't change back to 100km/h until just past the Delgany turn off). Coming the other direction (northbound) it's 100km/h all the way. I'm still fairly certain that at some stage the 80km/h sign by the garden centre was removed, but I could be hallucinating :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I think you're right Alun. I remember the 80 kmh sign reappearing mysteriously - it was almost definitely 100 kmh for a time from the garden centre to the Delgany exit.

Yes, there's a 100km/h sign now just before the entrance to the nature reserve car park, so the only 80km/h bit now is the first bend southbound leading into the Glen itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pansyflower

just before

No, just after, if you are driving southbound of course. :D:D

No, just after, if you are driving southbound of course. :D:D
    Oh, all right then , maybe it was just after ... very close to it in any case. I was concentrating on some idiot in a white van tailgating me at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 536 ✭✭✭ahal

The N11 is not a manically busy road most of the time (outside of the commute to / from work times) the problem with the Glen is twofold in my experience:

1/ Practically no one obeys the 80kph southbound speed limit

2/ Few approaching motorists will perform the epic move to the overtaking lane even when there's nothing else around them

It NOT the place to leave your car while you go for a 2 hour stroll up the hill. It's a favourite spot for smash 'n' grabs, not to mention 'burnouts' at night in stolen cars.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Anyone else notice while travelling southwards after dark, that many northbound drivers don't dip their lights?
    Quite annoying, if not dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

FluffyCat wrote: »
    You can get in via the back, bellview. I always go that way
    hi.could u pm me directions for bell view.id be interested.??

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Take the road up by the closed Delgany Inn up the hill.
    When you reach Kindlestown Wood (Coolegad Wood) - there is a road directly opposite this entrance.
    Drive down then around 1/2 a k. Small entrance on the left - but only on road parking.

The path in here is quite narrow - but it does open nicely just behind the Octogon ruin - so well worth the walk. Keep an eye out for the odd biker and watch where you walk as it can get mucky especially with some presents from dogs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Taltos wrote: »
    Take the road up by the closed Delgany Inn up the hill.
    When you reach Kindlestown Wood (Coolegad Wood) - there is a road directly opposite this entrance.
    Drive down then around 1/2 a k. Small entrance on the left - but only on road parking.

The path in here is quite narrow - but it does open nicely just behind the Octogon ruin - so well worth the walk. Keep an eye out for the odd biker and watch where you walk as it can get mucky especially with some presents from dogs...
    thanks taltos im always up in kindlestown with the kids and although i drove down that lane (v dodgy)to connect with the n11 i dnt realise one could get into gl of th do woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Maudi wrote: »
    thanks taltos im always up in kindlestown with the kids and although i drove down that lane (v dodgy)to connect with the n11 i dnt realise one could get into gl of th do woods.

A better road to get to the N11 is to continue on the main road with Kindlestown on your right.
    Left at next junction - past Glen of the Downs golf course and after a few twisty bends you are at the N11 :)

If you do take the trail up above - remember parking is on-road - way in is an old gate I think with a yellow bar across it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement