Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting bike back on the road after 2 years

Options
  • 19-11-2011 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭

My shadow 600 has been sitting outside (under 2 covers) for 2 years (i had an operation and wasn't able to lift anything and it messed my neck up so i wasn't brave enough to ride the bike until now..I'm a girl btw) What do I need to do to get it back on the road apart from charging the battery? I'm not a grease monkey so if I need to drain fuel or oil etc I'll probably have to leave in in somewhere - any ideas how much it'd cost if this is the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Oil change almost definitely. Also Tyres will need to be check and there's a strong possibility that they'll need to be changed.
    I'd be leaning towards replacing all fluids BTW and also doing a thorough check on all cables and bearings.

Being a Honda chances are you could just start it up and drive it :D (but better to get everything checked properly first.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Thanks! Any ideas how much it'd cost? Also would anyone have any recommendations of where to leave it in? I live in Drumcondra and work in Clontarf - I know there's a place at the bridge in Drumcondra?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

When I bought a bike that was lying up for 18 months, I had to get the brakes done front and back (they were seized) new chain, petrol tank drained, oil and filter changed. I also got them to change the tyres as the tyres on it were starting to crack.

I can't give you a price as they were things I insisted they did before I bought the bike. Bike shops charge €50 per hour (ish - depending on shop) so about 2 hours work on your bike I reckon.

As already said, because it's a Honda you might be able to just push the start button and off you go. LOL.

That guy on the bridge in Drumcondra has been around a while, he's pretty decent AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

As already said, because it's a Honda you might be able to just push the start button and off you go. LOL.

I had a Vespa PX200E like that.

I left it sitting for five years, after that time the back brake & center stand was seized.. But it started on the first kick, oh the exhaust had corroded a little too.

But fired into life straight away, I lashed a load of WD around the stand and brake peddle and shot off down the road for a spin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

I think the place you're describing is Leo O'Reilly's. I've never used him but he seems to have a very good reputation. Alternatively, Paddy's Pitstop on Ossary Road isn't too far from you either.

I hope you still have your no claims bonus - it only lasts 2 years afaik - so if you haven't kept up the insurance, check it out with your broker pronto.

• Advertisement

Popeleo wrote: »
    I think the place you're describing is Leo O'Reilly's. I've never used him but he seems to have a very good reputation. Alternatively, Paddy's Pitstop on Ossary Road isn't too far from you either.

I hope you still have your no claims bonus - it only lasts 2 years afaik - so if you haven't kept up the insurance, check it out with your broker pronto.

:eek: my no claims - it was 5 years!!!!!! I think I might be ok - i renewed it the first year but not last year so I think its only lapsed 1 year? I took the battery out last night to charge so i'll try and start it later and see what happens.

Just to update
    Insurance - it was only lapsed 16 months so my 8 year ncb is safe and sound - renewed my insurance yesterday with quinn for €250 :)
    Bike - the battery didn't charge so I replaced it last weekend. The bike cranks but won't turn over so the sparks are next on my hit list - I only got a spanner for them yesterday:o The bike itself is in good nick - a little dusty and a tiny bit of rust but nothing major.

I seen a few Honda Zoomers around in the last few weeks and I'm getting tempted to trade the shadow in against a new one. I know this is madness but I like them lol:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If it was sitting on the tyres for two years in the same spot, replace them. They can't be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

tk123 wrote: »
    I know there's a place at the bridge in Drumcondra?

Wheel it down to Leo O'Rielly and get Declan to give it a 'once over'. He'll tell you what it needs to make it safe - don't take chances if you aren't sure yourself. They might collect it for free if you are nearby, explain that you are trying to keep the cost down.

I'd replace the oil as an absolute minimum, check the brakes work and aren't sticking, check the tyre pressures and either drain the petrol or dilute it with fresh fuel as much as possible before going anywhere on it.

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Unless you drained the carbs before you parked it up they are probably completely gunked up by now and thats why it wont start, the plugs are probably fine.
    dispose of any petrol thats in it now and put in some fresh stuff and give it a shot, but you might have to get them taken off and cleaned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement