Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front tooth knocked out

Options
  • 19-11-2011 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what my options are been it a Saturday.

I was attacked last night walking home and one of my front teeth (maxillary central incisor i think) was knocked out and the one below it broken.I'm just wondering what my options are been it a Saturday ? Would it be okay to wait until Monday morning until i can make an appointment as nowhere will be open until then? I think the root might be still in it but I'm not sure but if it is would they be able to crown it or I'm i looking at a false tooth?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mush500

Hi south
    Best to try get it seen today/tomorrow as difficult as that may be at this hour. If you are in or near dublin there are some places open today and tomorrow.
    If it is completely out of the socket ie not broken and you have the tooth then at this stage prognosis is not great. If its broken and you're not sure it'll need an xray and possible further treatment. Either way a dentist needs to see you.
    Future replacemnt options depend on the exaxt situation but dont worry it can be sorted out - check the internet out for places open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭south

Thanks for the reply mush.

I'm in Waterford so will find it hard to get to Dublin before Monday. I don't have the tooth any more and I think it's completely out of the socket. It couldn't of happened at a worse time to be honest because I'm out of work at the moment and i'd say it's not going to be cheap to sort it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

south wrote: »

I was attacked last night walking home and one of my front teeth (maxillary central incisor i think) was knocked out and the one below it broken.I'm just wondering what my options are been it a Saturday ? Would it be okay to wait until Monday morning until i can make an appointment as nowhere will be open until then? I think the root might be still in it but I'm not sure but if it is would they be able to crown it or I'm i looking at a false tooth?

Sorry to hear OP
    Obviously best advice is to be seen ASAP....
    If the tooth is fully knocked out and you don't have it- then a delay till Monday is not going to matter
    If the tooth crown has been broken off and you just have the root left under the gum/bone, then most likely the root is not savable and will need removal. You risk infection if left too long, keep clean with warm salt water and corsodyl/kin rinse till then.
    If the tooth is fully intact but has been fully knocked up into the socket (intruded)- it may be possible to save the tooth. Some would "dislodge" the tooth then place it where it should be and then wire it in place unti healed, I prefer to slowly move it back into place with elastics/orthodontics. Again this could wait till Monday....

Don't know how broken the lower tooth is but any delay in treatment may mean that what could be just filled now may instead need a root canal and then filling...

Best advice is to see someone ASAP
    If not;
    keep clean with warm salt rinse and corsodyl. Get a temporary filling kit in the chemist and place over the broken lower tooth.

Good luck,
    OS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

Let the gardai know as well, it might be on CCTV.

headmaster wrote: »
    Let the gardai know as well, it might be on CCTV.
    I had only left one of them before it happened :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

south wrote: »

You can get stuff in the chemist, its to pack the socket, if you leave it exposed it will get very painful , lots of nerve endings, maybe you need a trip to casualty to check there is no other damage. Sorry to hear you were attacked. Hope you get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

alie wrote: »
    You can get stuff in the chemist, its to pack the socket, if you leave it exposed it will get very painful , lots of nerve endings, maybe you need a trip to casualty to check there is no other damage. Sorry to hear you were attacked. Hope you get sorted.

Don't pack the socket yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dont do any DIY on the teeth, you will make a mess. Don't listen to any internet advice apart from go see a dentist ASAP.

Thanks for the replies all. Couldn't get to a dentist today so going to try get an appointment first thing in the morning. I've been washing my mouth out with warm salty water every 1/2 hours or so to keep it clean. I just hope i can get sorted with something tomorrow even if its just temporary. Thanks again.

Advertisement