Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax back and extra tax ?

Options
  • 19-11-2011 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Ok so I made a pickle

Working in penneys a while now and I received a tax cert the other day to show this.... I got a wage slip today with paye refund -€175

But working in Sysnet for 2 weeks now I got a first wage slip for a small few days work of €200 pail but taxed over €80

What do ?

What did I mess up here with ?

Cheers alll

I never declared anywhere I was working with Sysnet .... They got my pps number and that was all I done.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Le bump

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Daxve

All of your tax credits and Standard Rate Cut Off Point (SRCOP) are allocated to your job in Pennys which means there is none available for your Sysnet job - you say yourself that you haven't informed anyone about the Sysnet job yet. You are being taxed at 41% on all your Sysnet income with no credits (€200 @ 41% = €82 tax). PRSI is calculated on each job separately but the USC takes all income from all jobs into account so there maybe additional charges.

If you aren't using all of your credits and SCROP for the Penney's job ring Revenue and ask them to allocate the unused portion to the Sysnet job to reduce your tax burden there. If you are using all your credits and SRCOP then there's nothing you can do you'll lose 41%+ of your Sysnet earnings. I'm assuming here that you are working both jobs and haven't ceased the Pennys job

If you are single you are entitled to €3,300 in personal and PAYE credits this means you can earn €16,500 without paying tax once you hit that amount your tax credits are used up and there would be none to transfer. (you may be entitled to other credits these are just the basics). A single person is entitled to earn €32,800 and only be taxed at 20% over that you pay 41% on the balance.

So for example if you earned €20,000 per annum in Pennys then you have used all your credits so there is none to transfer to the sysnet job but you still have €12,800 of unused SCROP which can be transferred to the Sysent job so that you will only pay 20% tax on your earnings up to €12,800 and not the 41% you currently are. Keep your credits and SRCOP with your main employment and just allocate the left over to the secondary job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Very helpful stuff there .... im definitly not earning over €25000 per year

i will do as you suggest ... sysnet would be my main employment for the moment with 30 - 40 hours per week on low wage but will get premium night rate also.

i've being told im probably just paying emergency tax with sysnet as i haven't done anything about it so i'll give the tax man a call soon.

but from that i should have some credits left over and should be able to split them evenly ?

with penneys for the moment i've reduced the hours to less than 18 a week.

cheers for the info

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

robbie_998 wrote: »
    Very helpful stuff there .... im definitly not earning over €25000 per year

i will do as you suggest ... sysnet would be my main employment for the moment with 30 - 40 hours per week on low wage but will get premium night rate also.

i've being told im probably just paying emergency tax with sysnet as i haven't done anything about it so i'll give the tax man a call soon.

but from that i should have some credits left over and should be able to split them evenly ?

with penneys for the moment i've reduced the hours to less than 18 a week.

cheers for the info

Call the Revenue Office and ask them to transfer some of your credits over to Sysnet. At the moment all of your credits are with Pennys meaning that you automatically get charged 40% tax in your other job.

It's up to you how you transfer them. Personally I just have all my credits in my higher paid, full time job and non in my casual hours job and will claim the tax back at the end of the year but it might be easier for you to try evenly spread the credits

Advertisement