Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay negotiation - stuck on starting salary due to pay freeze

Options
  • 19-11-2011 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have been with my current employer in administration roles since May 2008. I started in a general admin role in the low 20k's and have since been promoted a year an a half ago in all but pay. I am now in a Payroll Admin role for the same money as I started on three and a half years ago. I have more responsibilities in this job, and I feel I am quite valuable to my department.

There is a pay freeze over the whole of my company since the end of 2008 (I JUST missed the last pay rise - you had to be there for at least six months to be eligible), but I have been thinking of asking my boss if there is any room for expansion on my salary to reflect the new duties I have taken on since I started.

I don't want to rock the boat because I actually really like my job and the people I work with, and the only thing getting me down is the low pay. But I also don't want to sit there on the same salary year in year out because they know I will work for that little amount, when I could just ask. I have been thinking of applying for jobs elsewhere, but again, I'm not sure if I should start that process without at least asking for a pay negotiation. I have looked briefly around the internet and there are a lot of similar roles to mine offering about 3-5k per year more than I am earning. Myself and my partner are saving for a deposit on a house at the moment and an extra few grand would go a long way.

Just a bit of background - I don't have a third level degree - I have two years of college but I left because I couldn't stand my course. Have also been toying with going back to education.

Has anyone else been in the same position as me? Or if you were what would you do? Should I keep my head up, be glad I have a nice job, and keep my mouth shut? Or should I see if I am worth more to them? I'd appreciate any input!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

You won't get a pay rise unless you ask and make it awkward for your employer. No harm in moving about jobs either as its quite likely that you will get a pay rise when you hand in your notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

It will all come down to what's available in the market and where your company wants to be in that spectrum..

I would suggest looking for similar roles on job sites and finding out what the average (not the top!!!!) salary is.. Then look at the benefits, and factor in the fact you like your job etc. you should be able to get an idea of what you really are worth.. which may be considerably different from what you think you are worth or would like to be worth..

If you find you are being underpaid and you want to remedy that, then I would approach your manager with your request and show him the details, and remind him/her of the promo and lack of payrises in the last 3/5 years etc.

They will ultimately make a decision, and then you can either stay or go..
    But at least you have the complete facts to make a decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ambershade

Appreciate the feedback. Wondered what the general feeling would be from people and whether I look like a greedy so and so or if it's fair enough! Will continue my research on it with a view to maybe taking the leap and asking about it in the New Year...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why would you put it off until the New Year? Are you expecting the company to get an upturn in the meantime? for something very positive to happen that will change the circumstances?

If you are worth a payrise (based on what the other posters have said about checking the average salary for similar jobs etc) then you should approach you're employer.

Employers are of course looking to keep costs at a minimum. However, many are also realistic that a very good performing member of staff is well worth the pay and so, if they are being realistic should accept the need for a review.

You need to decide what you are willing to do for any given scenario, namely;
    What salary would be appropriate,
    What if they accept the need for a review but come back well below the increase you were looking for,
    what is you get out position. If they say no, then will you leave? Are you prepared to make that choice? You need to take the current jobs market into account, you may well feel you are worth an extra 10K or whatever, but what if you leave and don't get another job?

You do seem to have a good constructed arguement already, increased responsibilities, increased workload etc etc, much better than simply walking in and asking for a rise because you haven't had one in 3 years. Many employers will at least see the validity of the arguement (not necessarily agree with it!!) but won't hold it against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ambershade

I work in an area that is very busy over Christmas. As it is a financial job it is all closing off the year between now and probably mid January. And I think for a conversation like this to go well it's all about timing. I'd feel better about asking the boss for a meeting when I know there's less pressure on everyone, I feel it might go a lot better. I'll pick my moment instead of barging in like a bull in a china shop so to speak.

Extra time to do my research so I can lay all the cards out on the table - as well as pluck up the courage, wouldn't go amiss either!

I have an idea of the salary I think would be appropriate, it's not sky high by any means, about 15-20%. More would be a bonus. Considering the type of work I do - clerical work, I doubt I can go too over the top, I'm support at the end of the day. If they deny the need for review, or the offer is too low as you said, I would be applying for a new job. I would never leave my current job without having something else lined up though. In this climate?

I'm glad to hear that the general consensus is basically that there's no harm in asking cos it wouldn't be held against me. Something I worry about is that just asking would be a black mark against me. I work for a very large company who isn't exactly known for treating their employees all that well if you get on the wrong side of them, so I worry that I'd be punished in some roundabout way. You'd be amazed at some of the things I've heard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

15-20% is very large in pay-rise terms, particularly in one leap. Your negotiating point is that it's not so much as pay rise as such - you've been appointed to a different position than the one you started on which has more responsibilities etc. and that would usually be reflected in salary.

Asking and demanding are two very different things and the former is very unlikely to leave any kind of 'black mark' against your name. You've taken on new responsibilities and showed commitment to the company - they may not have the money to compensate you for that (or may have it and just be unwilling to part with it!) but if you don't ask you don't get.

Advertisement