Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog's hind legs are weak and shaky

Options
  • 19-11-2011 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a one year old Golden Retriever. He is very playful and energetic. Last night we brought him for a walk and when we went to bed he went to bed in the utility room as he always does. I was going to work this morning and I went down to let him outside and to feed him. Usually when he hears us coming down the stairs and we open the door he's jumping around all excited.
    This morning he was just sitting in the middle of the floor but couldn't seem to raise his backside off the floor. I eventually managed to get him up and very slowly he walked out into the back garden. His hind legs were very shaky and he just flopped down. He's not crying or anything and when I felt his legs he didn't wince so I don't think he's in any pain.

I've had to come into work and he's at home as comfortable as possible but I'm sick with worry. He's only one and so playful and gentle I really don't know waht it could be.

I will bring him to vet but does anyone know anything that could ease my worries in the meantime?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would call a vet asap, it could be he just pulled a muscle when jumping about and its sore to get up and walk, but it would need checking with a vet, anti inflams and maybe a pain killer.
    Don't want to scare you but it could be more serious, slipped disk or something, and he is probably in pain. Animals don't show pain like people, they hide it and can take much more than people.
    Can you get someone else to bring him in?
    I would also advise not to make him walk where possible, just incase it does more damage. (I know thats hard with a big dog, lift him into a car and lift out)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Recommend you take him to the vet ASAP. May not be serious but it could also be his hips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

What age is he op? I have an old lab here and his back legs are very bad. He's on meticam medication at the moment and it has improved him greatly.

Agree though need's to see vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Optimum

+1 for the Vet as soon as you can,
    Could be anything from hurting himself playing to something more sinister like tick bite paralysis ( probably not the time of year for them but I'd rather be safe then sorry)
    Hope he picks up soon, keep us updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

Thanks guys I can't concentrate on anything today and I won't until I know he is ok.

He was one back in August so he's very young. His stomach is grumbling a lot too and this morning he was passing very loud wind, I've never heard a dog pass wind before. He seemed to relax a little after that but if it was stomach upset that wouldn't affect his hind legs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

He could have injured himself or worse case scenario there could be something wrong with his hips, ie Hip Dysplacia.

Try not to worry until you know more but try get him to the vet as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Yeah, I also thought hip dysplasia. Hopefully it's not that though (and even if it is, it's a condition that can be managed very well).

I hope he's okay OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Just thinking, are you insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Helen1976

I hope he's ok OP. You must be worried sick :(

Please update us later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Bit of a long shot but had your dog ingested macadamia nuts at any stage?

These nuts are toxic to dogs and cause paralysis of the hind legs. Might also explain the wind and stomach noises. it usually disappears after 48 hours. Still you will need to get to the vet.

Hope your little Fella is ok....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭gagiteebo

Hi guys :)

Thank you all so much for your replies! I brought him to the vet and am happy to say Dexter is back on form and running around as normal. The problem was sausages :confused: I know, I was shocked. We had given him 2 sausages the night before and the vet said they are very bad for dogs as it cripples them with wind and slows them down. I had never heard this before, apparently some people give them to rival greyhounds before races.

We brought him home and massaged his tummy, there was a lot of wind :o He is back to his playful self now thank God! I was so worried. Needless to say we won't be feeding him sausages again anytime soon.

Advertisement