Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ensuring a job after PhD

Options
  • 18-11-2011 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I'm currently in my first year of my PhD in physics and since my degree isn't very strong I want to do everything I can to increase my chances of getting a postdoc when I finish. Obviously publications help, but is there anything else that looks good on a CV? I've gotten involved in some outreach which I hope will help, and I've also started teaching a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

It would be worth trying to do a placement in a lab abroad - good for making connections. Also, apply for funding - travel grants etc. The best way to show you can do something is to have already done it, and getting funding is a major check mark on the ole cv :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Alliandre wrote: »
    I'm currently in my first year of my PhD in physics and since my degree isn't very strong...
    By the time you've finished your PhD, your degree won't be terribly relevant, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
    Alliandre wrote: »
    I want to do everything I can to increase my chances of getting a postdoc when I finish. Obviously publications help, but is there anything else that looks good on a CV? I've gotten involved in some outreach which I hope will help, and I've also started teaching a bit.
    Publications is the obvious one. Teaching is really only relevant if you see yourself going into teaching - I don't think it will make a huge difference with regard to postdoc applications.

The only other piece of advice I can give is take advantage of your surroundings and learn as much as you can (within reason). There may be techniques/technologies that you have access to that others don't, so use that to your advantage. The same goes for individuals in your university/institute who may have knowledge and experience that you wouldn't have access to elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Metalpanic

Is there any way you can link up with an industry partner? Funding bodies love to see collaboration between academia and industry.

Advertisement